Dead Pedal Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bruce722 - It appears to be a bit too small and far away to the left to me as well but I've never had a dead pedal so I'm speaking mainly from what I've seen others prefer. ...
No dis' to the commercial offerings | DIY'ers, however, IMO a dead pedal should be small and out-of-the-way.
  • no mistakening it for another pedal.
  • no interference with the other pedal(s)
REASONS:
  1. it's out-of-the-way of the other pedal functions/operations.
  2. creates more leg/foot real estate for movement/repositioning. *Especially nice on long trips and reshuffling legs/feet.
But in the end it's all good.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@dGMJoe wrote: :IMO your design is too close to both of the brake pedals (emergency and regular). *Recall panic braking considerations."

With at least 10,000 miles of experience with my design, this hasn't been a factor. Not even once.

OP
OP
Bruce722

Bruce722

Reaction score
No dis' to the commercial offerings | DIY'ers, however, IMO a dead pedal should be small and out-of-the-way.
  • no mistakening it for another pedal.
  • no interference with the other pedal(s)
REASONS:
  1. it's out-of-the-way of the other pedal functions/operations.
  2. creates more leg/foot real estate for movement/repositioning. *Especially nice on long trips and reshuffling legs/feet.
But in the end it's all good.

Mine has already shipped and should be in the mail soon. I'll update with my findings.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
put mine on today. i agree with Huck to some extent. i'm 5'10" with a 32 inch inseam and i feel like i come up just an inch or so short with my foot. i like to drive with the seat all the way back, but if i move it forward an inch or so its about right. ill drive it awhile and see how i like it. maybe i can figure a way to fix something to the front of it to bring it out an inch or so, which is where i kinda wish it was. big and solid, though.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i knew it needed to be further out or id never be happy. so i did this. effectively moving the pedal about an inch and a half forward.

id probably have more play side to side so i drilled some extra holes, the left one for the existing bolt. this moved the whole show about a 3/4 inch toward the brake pedal, which i thought was a good thing. initially i just used the original hole for the self tapper, but after some thought drilled another on the other side. theres very little movement side to side.

the dead pedal is now about in the same plane as the petrol pedal

to fill the gap between the bottom of the pedal and the floor mat, i glued some heavy rubber to it. it rests securely on my husky mat. i know, kinda cheesy, but i wanted it to be functional. it probably wouldnt be the best setup for extreme offroading, but i wanted it to have a place to rest my left foot, and now i have that without reaching for it.