Dead Pedal Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deadpedal.jpg
  • drilling required - Yes (3 holes into the emergency brake bracket for self-tapping bolts).
  • need to make a bracket - No (integral to the dead pedal).
  • FoMoCo OEM - 1984-1986 Mustang SVO / 1987-1993 GT / etc. (easily found on ebay for not much $$).
  • easy installation - drill holes and bolt-in.
deadpedalwithspacer.jpg

Reckon how that would work with Huskyliners?

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AbnMP13 - Reckon how that would work with Huskyliners?
Probably just as well as it works with the WeatherTech floor liners. *easily slides/fits underneath the dead pedal.

NOTE: The RuggedRidge mat(s) in the pic' have been replaced.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That might work on a Raptor if you're really long-legged or like to drive with the steering wheel against your chest.

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger - That might work on a Raptor if you're really long-legged or like to drive with the steering wheel against your chest.
You're implying that it will work for tall | short drivers ... So YA! thumb.gif

As for me ... 6'2", 32" inseam, seat is far-back and low as it will go, and steering wheel is all the way-out.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're implying that it will work for tall | short drivers ... So YA! thumb.gif

As for me ... 6'2", 32" inseam, seat is far-back and low as it will go, and steering wheel is all the way-out.

No, I'm implying that it probably won't work for anybody.

Look how deep that is in the wheel well - way deeper than the gas and brake pedals, and deeper than the parking break pedal will go. A dead pedal needs to be pretty close to where the break pedal is. The deeper it is the closer the driver's leg will be to full extension, and therefore the less he'll be able to brace himself with it. I would also observe that it's so far to the left that it might be uncomfortable as well as too far away to be useful.

Go to my thread (link provided above) and see where my dead pedal is situated. I've had it for thousands of miles now, and I assure you that it's at or very close to the optimum position for most drivers. I am 5'8" and buy pants with a 32" inseam.

Last edited:

gDMJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger ... Look how deep that is in the wheel well - way deeper than the gas and brake pedals, and deeper than the parking break pedal will go. A dead pedal needs to be pretty close to where the break pedal is.
A different perspective ...
deadpedalwv.jpg
It's purposely positioned to be ...
  • on (or near the same) plane as the brake and gas pedals.
  • away from the brake pedal so that in a panic braking situation it's not hit rather than the brake pedal.
  • out-of-the-way and not interfere with the emergency brake pedal.
And after 5+years/60,000+miles of use have no issues.

The deeper it is the closer the driver's leg will be to full extension, and therefore the less he'll be able to brace himself with it. I would also observe that it's so far to the left that it might be uncomfortable as well as too far away to be useful.
Regarding full extension - Somewhat agree. And that is why after the intial installation, a spacer (section of 1½" aluminum square stock) was inserted between the bracket and pad for ergonomic reasons (as pic'ed). This adjusted the entension (though it wasn't a full) position to a FAR from full.

"6'2", 32" inseam, seat is far-back and low as it will go, and steering wheel is all the way-out", and the leg is FAR from extended.

Go to my thread (link provided above) and see where my dead pedal is situated. I've had it for thousands of miles now, and I assure you that it's at or very close to the optimum position for most drivers. I am 5'8" and buy pants with a 32" inseam.
Each has their own personal preferences, however, I've used the same dead pedal (though not this particular one) in every vehicle (cars and trucks - 10+) that I've driven since 1984 and have accumulated millions of miles of experience (all comfortable and favorable).

IMO your design is too close to both of the brake pedals (emergency and regular). *Recall panic braking considerations.

But we all have our own preferences and opinions. thumb.gif

Carry on .....

OP
OP
Bruce722

Bruce722

Reaction score
It appears to be a bit too small and far away to the left to me as well but I've never had a dead pedal so I'm speaking mainly from what I've seen others prefer. I ordered mine from Craven Speed the other day and should be receiving it in the mail and installing it within the next week or so. I'll update from there. Thanks for the perspective.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah to be a true dead pedal it should be at the same location as the gas pedal. But the parking brake is in the way.

It's a nice kit, but I don't bite the steering wheel so reaching it was a bitch unless I went all thugged out