Dead Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redhawks13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am currently deployed and just got a message from the girlfriend that she thinks the battery is dead. The truck has been started and driven around once a week. The remote isn't working, she opened the door using the key inside the key fob. No lights come on in the truck. She jumped it yesterday and it started up. This morning she woke up and had the same issues. I asked her to hook the charger up to it and it read 0%. She let it charge up to 100% and tried it again. Nothing. No lights and the engine didn't even try to turn over. I read something about a deep sleep mode. The truck is a 2018 with under 1000 miles on it. Did I just get a bad battery? Not happy that I'm not home and able to diagnose the problem myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most auto part stores can test the battery for you for free.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what charger was used, but reading 0% does not sound good. If a battery is completely discharged, I would get a new one as this pretty much destroys it. However, you said it charged to 100% and nothing happened. This sounds more like a battery terminal problem and is easily checked, just try to twist it.
Since you are deployed and the truck sits for an extended time, you might consider a battery charger/maintainer like the Optima Digital 400. I used one on mine when I was out for a few months after surgery and it worked great.
Good luck and thanks to you and all who serve!!!

OP
OP
redhawks13

redhawks13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s the plan for tomorrow. I’m hoping that’s all it is. Should be covered under the warranty either way. I usually keep both the motorcycle and truck hooked up while I’m gone. The bike also had a dead battery about a month back. I’m starting to wonder if the charger is going bad. Anyone ever had a charger go bad?

LeadFootCraig

Reaction score
You aren’t leaving the key in it are you? If it’s like my old car the truck will constantly ping the key and kill both batteries (key and truck).

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought a battery into Autozone for them to test it since it wouldn’t hold charge when connected to the car. Autozone slow charged it overnight and the battery was back to normal again. They usually have free loaner batteries available. Give that a shot.

OP
OP
redhawks13

redhawks13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, keys are not being left in the vehicle. Got the truck to an auto parts store that said the battery was low and need a charge. Hooked it up to the charger and it seems to be charging. The girlfriend did notice that the auto dim lights were taking a long time to shut off. At this point, I’m just going to leave a trickle charger on it until I get home in a few months and check it out myself.