Day 3 of Ownership- does anyone really miss the V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Or just go ahead and grow a beard? Then appreciate the torque and gas mileage.

At full throttle, it doesn't sound bad. It's not a throaty LS or Coyote sound but it's not bad at all.

You can’t convince someone to like something that they are rationalizing not liking.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If a 475 / 475 V8 had been available, unsure which way I'd have gone. 500hp/475lb*ft... I might have gone V8, though as my DD... the specter of getting near 10 mpg might have pushed me the V6 direction. If it were a pure toy, I'd doing V8. Raptor is probably more often used as a DD and ford is developing the V6 due to CAFE, so the bean counters have spoken.

Ford’s been developing engines to comply with CAFE for generations now, including the v8 engines.

The gen1 raptor set the scene for starbucks drive thru domination. Apparently some thought it not quick enough and now we have the gen2.

A lot of the same people here loudly proclaiming they want the v8 and nothing else are prominently featured in the gen 1 mileage threads, complaining about nn mpg.

I had the ’01 Lightning a couple vehicles back and I really liked that truck. The best I got out of it was up to Boston and back via 95. I got 17mpg over the trip. Any other time it was 15mpg or under. I’ve gotten over 20 in the Raptor for short stretches like a week of family hauling in OBX. and can pull 18 on the highway pretty easily. I draw this comparison because it’s a popular narrative that Ford could just add a blower to the 5.0. Yeah, they could, but you’d still probably be short of the current 3.5TT torque. The Mustang engine supercharged might do it, but there will be definite hit to mpg and will require a front suspension redesign.

I had the Lightning for 8 years, and have had at least half a dozen big blocks, 2 of which I drove regularly to / from work. Who here really wants to be spending $120 per fill up 2-3 times / week? Even if you’re not commuting, you still have to live with it.

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometime in my learning process before I learned that, assuming things are either orthogonal or parallel and that mass is constant and where v represents speed (and therefore I can spare you vector maths),

F = m*a -> F*v = P = m*a*v -> a = P/(v*m) -> a(v) is proportionate to P.
In simple words: Torque does not move anything, (horse)power does.

(Edit: High torque means high hp at that point.)

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still boils down to low end "grunt" and the sound of 8 cylinders exhausting through stainless steel. A man's truck should sound and feel like its got a full beard.

The 3.5 makes significantly more torque, at lower RPM, than the 6.2 (or 5.0...). It feels like a big block compared to the 6.2 at lower engine speeds. The 6.2 is okay but it is not an impressive engine at all until you toss a supercharger on it.