Day 3 of Ownership- does anyone really miss the V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power under the curve is what makes things go, I don't really care about torque so long as the power curve is reasonable.

The problem is that the Rap -needs- power under the curve and needs it way more than a regular sedan, suv, or run of the mill pickup.

IMO 500hp and 450 ft*lb would work just fine. This thing isn't running a 4L60-E, it's not a tow vehicle, and it's not a rock crawler.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One can talk all day about a modded *

For a stock turbo vehicle, this thing spools decent, but it's not like a NA engine.

From what internetting tells so far, this is no 2JZ / N54 / LBZ / 997 turbo. Being that it's my DD and doesn't appear to be ridiculously overbuilt, I'm not yet in the business of throwing out my powertrain warranty.

I put down 520 ft/lbs to the wheels at 2,500 rpm on a low reading mustang dyno...

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to stir the pot.........

I do have a V8, 2012. For my use, it's better. My trucks has over 25% of it's miles towing fairly heavy loads. I also have an FX4 with TT 3.5 and heavy tow package. The V8 handles the load better and gets better milage doing it.

The FX blows the doors off the other 75%........

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power under the curve is what makes things go, I don't really care about torque so long as the power curve is reasonable.

This engine makes decent power, but my expectations are normalized to price point and this truck wasn't cheap. Compared with a NA V8, its throttle response and noise leaves a lot to be desired.
Three things there...

• In a ~6,000 pound vehicle you should care more about torque than you do about horsepower.
  • While not "cheap" I object to it being called "expensive", my 2018 stickered for $61.9K, I can build a platinum or limited and exceed that.
  • At what stage in your learning process did you realize that a TT-V6 has more throttle lag and sounds different than a NA-V8?

40oz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still boils down to low end "grunt" and the sound of 8 cylinders exhausting through stainless steel. A man's truck should sound and feel like its got a full beard.

757Nomad

Reaction score
Or just go ahead and grow a beard? Then appreciate the torque and gas mileage.

At full throttle, it doesn't sound bad. It's not a throaty LS or Coyote sound but it's not bad at all.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three things there...

• In a ~6,000 pound vehicle you should care more about torque than you do about horsepower.
  • While not "cheap" I object to it being called "expensive", my 2018 stickered for $61.9K, I can build a platinum or limited and exceed that.
  • At what stage in your learning process did you realize that a TT-V6 has more throttle lag and sounds different than a NA-V8?

Sometime in my learning process before I learned that, assuming things are either orthogonal or parallel and that mass is constant and where v represents speed (and therefore I can spare you vector maths),

F = m*a -> F*v = P = m*a*v -> a = P/(v*m) -> a(v) is proportionate to P.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Execpt for the engine sound (which was expected), I had very high expectations for the Gen2 before my first test drive. A couple test drives in and my expectations were reset WRT a few things. For other things, I am very impressed. It is notable that I still bought the truck, and I flew 900 miles to get the exact truck I wanted -> I bought this instead of a fast H6 toy -> I really like the truck.

But, while very decent, IMO this engine isn't the second coming of Jesus. From what I'm seeing, it's not way overbuilt like some other notable FI engines, there is no VVT or twin scroll, thus the turbos are pretty small for quick spooling, etc.

I'm pointing out that it's the real world; compromises are made for either platform. IMO, there are things to miss about a wicked NA V8, and there are benefits to the TTV6.

If a 475 / 475 V8 had been available, unsure which way I'd have gone. 500hp/475lb*ft... I might have gone V8, though as my DD... the specter of getting near 10 mpg might have pushed me the V6 direction. If it were a pure toy, I'd doing V8. Raptor is probably more often used as a DD and ford is developing the V6 due to CAFE, so the bean counters have spoken.

Or just go ahead and grow a beard? Then appreciate the torque and gas mileage.

At full throttle, it doesn't sound bad. It's not a throaty LS or Coyote sound but it's not bad at all.

I think it sounds pretty bad, but others will disagree. I haven't yet conditioned myself to think it sounds bad in a nasty (badass) way like a turbo porsche as I can't break the association with the GM engines of the 90s. It's opinion.