Day 3 of Ownership- does anyone really miss the V8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkalley

Reaction score
I am day 3 with the truck and loving it. My two cents- I prefer this engine way more than my 6.2. I think it feels like a V8 and pulls like a freight train with zero lag. My only complaint is the rear does feel like it wants to break lose a lot more than my 2014 and on uneven roads, even in a straight line, I'd almost describe the rear tires skipping under acceleration. I think I just have to get accustomed to the drive-train.

I also have a Gt4, S2000, 1970 Oldsmobile and a Q5S. I feel like this is just as responsive as the SQ5 and the steering for such a big truck is amazing.

No other point to this post but to say thanks for the help with the price as I used your insights as leverage.

RAPTERRIER

Full Access On Your Mom
Reaction score
The rear end is light for sure but you might want to check your tire pressures. Mine was delivered with 10lbs too high.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock tires also aren't known for grabbing well, especially laterally. But yeah, high torque, light bed truck. Lower your pressures and add some weight, and drive in 4A when the roads are wet

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 36 in the rear and it is noticeably less hoppy than when they're at 42. Some run closer to 32 I believe.

I'm also with you, I was one of the people that was discouraged when I first heard it was getting the ecoboost V6. After driving a couple I didn't miss it at all and love the midrange torque.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a SCAB and have been running it at 33 psi all around. I've tested it at different pressures and for me 33 feels the best for everyday driving, and doesn't seem to impact wear and tear of the tred.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a SCAB and have been running it at 33 psi all around. I've tested it at different pressures and for me 33 feels the best for everyday driving, and doesn't seem to impact wear and tear of the tred.

I also have a SCAB and have found 33 psi to be about the best as well.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I feel like this is just as responsive as the SQ5 and the steering for such a big truck is amazing.

I went from a 2015 SQ5 to the Raptor. The only place I notice a difference is highway cruising speed. The raptor like to settle in at about 75mph. @ 75pm, the truck is loafing along and still very easy to drive or maintain speed and lane choice.

The SQ5 on the other hand, felt at home doing 95mph. That car was just effortless to drive at those speeds and still had plenty to give if needed.

It took me about a week to get used to the bigger size of the Raptor. I don't like having to switch to "sport" mode to drive fast, but this also is helping me to slow down and let an extra 5-10 minutes happen on my commute vs always risking a ticket or jail.