day 1 - 2020 SCrew - 12 MPG hwy ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
only 27k miles on it... new plugs on this ecoboost motor that soon?

also from skimming the forum, it seems ford service will do roush add ons and not void my remaining years warranty right?
Is the truck modified? Things like aftermarket bumpers, lifts, larger tires, etc. can decrease fuel economy significantly. I average 18 MPG Highway relatively easily on my ‘19 doing 70-75.

As far as mods, Ford warranty does not cover Roush or any other aftermarket parts. As @smurfslayer said, Roush includes a separate warranty on their performance parts.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Drive slower than the limit if MPG is important to you. Drove 55 on the interstate for 200 miles to get to my son’s place just to see. On the way back, hell no, drove 90. MPG has no concern to me, less means more fun which is priceless

Attachments

• D7A464DB-189F-4834-BAAD-DAFD29C89F49.jpeg
    D7A464DB-189F-4834-BAAD-DAFD29C89F49.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 15

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only 27k miles on it... new plugs on this ecoboost motor that soon?

also from skimming the forum, it seems ford service will do roush add ons and not void my remaining years warranty right?
1st post complaining about gas mileage
2nd post asking about Rousch add-ons

Too funny

On a serious note - When I bought my Raptor the dealer filled the tank. It got poor mileage. 2nd tank I put in Premium and after that, mileage went up.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s very low miles so I think there’sa learning period. My brand new 2020 went thru “miles to empty” variations for awhile. I would fill up and it would say 576 miles to empty then next fill up it would say 416 then 525 then 475 it has stabilized over the last 6 months to a very regular reading of 545-560 miles to empty. I have only run 92 octane the whole time.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue if your truck is running well.

I do know that energy required increases as the cube of speed.

That just means that MPG decreases exponentially as a function of speed. More so with the bricks we are tossing through the air as opposed to a more aerodynamically efficient sporty car.

Physics: It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

:)

OP
OP
T

tone2020

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. That mileage and range is all wrong plain and simple or your truck is sick! Even doing 80 the whole trip you should average well over 15 and be around 16.5. You should get 500 miles per tank on average and upper 400’s if you get on it a lot or 550+ if you have some fun but drive it steady a lot.

Reset all the mileage counters, and fill the tank up with 93 octane and start again.

With 27k you shouldn’t need new plugs unless your rings are shot and I really really doubt that.
yeah we only have 91 nearby but i filled up with that when i got in town (on fumes lol), gonna buy some octane booster bottles as well
That’s probably too soon for plugs, have you checked the air filter? Are you running premium fuel? Every dealer is different for warranty.
pulled it this afternoon during the bears game (ugh) standard cheap replacement filter, thick as a phonebook in there, ran to OReillys and dropped a K&N in - first place to start in my mind
You got the truck for a few hours and you’re complaining about the range? You haven’t run a full tank through it yet, correct?

And you can on the street, with ease.

Hold up, homey.
let’s not press the panic button just yet. You need to actually put a full tank of fuel through the truck; a full tank that you put in.

is the truck stock or tuned? lifted / leveled? wheels / tires stock or aftermarket?

Run this tank completely out. while you’re doing so, if you haven’t done this already, check the air filter, replace if needed. Validate tire pressure. While you don’t need to run a full 38/38 front to rear on stock KO2’s to get decent mpg, dropping much below 36/34 will sacrifice some economy at the altar of handling & performance. I’ve seen as low as 32/28 recommended here, but on the street I tend to stick close to 36/34 cold, give or take about a psi.

when your warning light goes off, fill the truck with a full tank of 93 octane, if available or the highest you can get. Drive as you normally would.

Distance to Empty / DTE is calculated based on previous driving, so if you have been caning the truck the calculated DTE is going to be low. Similarly if you spend a week on “Island time” you can pull 20-21 mpg no problem; speeds of 45-60mph and you do score better economy, no doubt. At 70-80, 17-19 is achievable under ideal circumstances. I pulled 17mpg moving from east coast to TX, even on the tank where I was on I10 at 90+mph for very long stretches. That was with cargo and a somewhat chubby dog.
Of course: YMMV

No.

Not exactly. The ford powertrain warranty is toast, but Roush will cover their portion for 3/36, no more and if I recall correctly it’s 3/36 from original purchase date or something hyper technical like that. It’s better than nothing, for sure, but it’s not all that.
keep in mind the trip was 12 hours, almost 5 hours behind the wheel each way and was dog *** tired, so forgive the tone of my inquiry, but yes put a whole tank, "25 miles to go" warning and all

also, thanks, ive read up and see that i was confused between roush and "ford performance" parts, etc.

tires are at 40psi
doesnt seem to be additional lift
i think i was expecting more in line of what you give as examples. its not the mpg per se, more so im concerned i bought a truck with something wrong with it; just changed to high flow filter today, was getting 14-16 today around town and light state hwy driving
Hmmmm, I get 17.5-19 mpg on my Raptor. check the air filter.
put k&n in late this afternnoon, gonna hop in a deer stand tomorrow AM and in the afternoon, gonna see if the air filter makes a detectable difference
I get an honest 17 in mixed driving. If yours doesn't improve after a tank or two, you'll know why the previous owner dumped it ...
ha! i hope its not so black and white... if i dont break it in to my style of driving after a couple months i may take it in for a warranty diagnostic to make sure prev owner didnt try to "tune" it without know wrf they were doing
Is the truck modified? Things like aftermarket bumpers, lifts, larger tires, etc. can decrease fuel economy significantly. I average 18 MPG Highway relatively easily on my ‘19 doing 70-75.

As far as mods, Ford warranty does not cover Roush or any other aftermarket parts. As @smurfslayer said, Roush includes a separate warranty on their performance parts.
dont think so!! and, sorry for my confusion on thr rousch stuff
1st post complaining about gas mileage
2nd post asking about Rousch add-ons

Too funny

On a serious note - When I bought my Raptor the dealer filled the tank. It got poor mileage. 2nd tank I put in Premium and after that, mileage went up.
i hope its what you say there - victim of ****** dealer gas and phone book thickness air filter!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES - Glad to see this is an active forum for nerds like me that like to talk about vehicles we own!

im interested in feedback on any ford performance mods like approved ecu tunes, ford approved exhausts, ways to improve the embarassing "premium" B&O sound system - or anything that seems interesting !!

blademan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 12mpg best .. I have a 2019 with 37" 13.50 and a LIFT, 2nd stage TUNED.(not popular option for these trucks-BUT CAME THAT WAY USED)-
I drive -> this mall crawler HARD--> AND FASSST every where i go like fast & furious.. 11.9mpg best i get!
I will say this - I have owned 16 F250tuned, V8 TITAN, GEN 1 ROUSCH- super charged, and undra--
overall my tuned 2019 - lifted 37 .etc.etc BEST TRUCK I have ever drove- from comfort, fun, and fast(TUNE STAGE 2 made a huge difference- but yea not good for warrent)