day 1 - 2020 SCrew - 12 MPG hwy ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tone2020

Reaction score
got a 2020 Raptor today - love it so far -- EXCEPT the range .... wtf? less than 350 miles?

300 miles there in my SCREW 2011 titan 5.6 V8 - 15.8 mpg (cai and higher flow than stock muffler)

300 miles home in 2020 SCREW raptor 3.5 V6 - 11.8 mpg?? really?

its not so much the mpg as much as i thought id have at least a 400 mile range....

i typically drive 10 over the limit, so 80mph most of the way.... a little head wind too i suppose.... is there an ECU reset i can do or something? suggestions besides "drive slower"?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place, congrats on your raptor. That sounds pretty SHI tty for mileage, especially if it was all highway. Might be time for some plugs. You are running 4:10 gears and bigger tires than your last truck though. I get better mileage than that in my Gen 1, just saying.

OP
OP
T

tone2020

Reaction score
Welcome to the place, congrats on your raptor. That sounds pretty SHI tty for mileage, especially if it was all highway. Might be time for some plugs. You are running 4:10 gears and bigger tires than your last truck though. I get better mileage than that in my Gen 1, just saying.

only 27k miles on it... new plugs on this ecoboost motor that soon?

also from skimming the forum, it seems ford service will do roush add ons and not void my remaining years warranty right?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. That mileage and range is all wrong plain and simple or your truck is sick! Even doing 80 the whole trip you should average well over 15 and be around 16.5. You should get 500 miles per tank on average and upper 400’s if you get on it a lot or 550+ if you have some fun but drive it steady a lot.

Reset all the mileage counters, and fill the tank up with 93 octane and start again.

With 27k you shouldn’t need new plugs unless your rings are shot and I really really doubt that.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

also from skimming the forum, it seems ford service will do roush add ons and not void my remaining years warranty right?
That’s probably too soon for plugs, have you checked the air filter? Are you running premium fuel? Every dealer is different for warranty.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
got a 2020 Raptor today - love it so far -- EXCEPT the range .... wtf? less than 350 miles?

You got the truck for a few hours and you’re complaining about the range? You haven’t run a full tank through it yet, correct?

its not so much the mpg as much as i thought id have at least a 400 mile range....

And you can on the street, with ease.

i typically drive 10 over the limit, so 80mph most of the way.... a little head wind too i suppose.... is there an ECU reset i can do or something? suggestions besides "drive slower"?

Hold up, homey.
let’s not press the panic button just yet. You need to actually put a full tank of fuel through the truck; a full tank that you put in.

is the truck stock or tuned? lifted / leveled? wheels / tires stock or aftermarket?

Run this tank completely out. while you’re doing so, if you haven’t done this already, check the air filter, replace if needed. Validate tire pressure. While you don’t need to run a full 38/38 front to rear on stock KO2’s to get decent mpg, dropping much below 36/34 will sacrifice some economy at the altar of handling & performance. I’ve seen as low as 32/28 recommended here, but on the street I tend to stick close to 36/34 cold, give or take about a psi.

when your warning light goes off, fill the truck with a full tank of 93 octane, if available or the highest you can get. Drive as you normally would.

Distance to Empty / DTE is calculated based on previous driving, so if you have been caning the truck the calculated DTE is going to be low. Similarly if you spend a week on “Island time” you can pull 20-21 mpg no problem; speeds of 45-60mph and you do score better economy, no doubt. At 70-80, 17-19 is achievable under ideal circumstances. I pulled 17mpg moving from east coast to TX, even on the tank where I was on I10 at 90+mph for very long stretches. That was with cargo and a somewhat chubby dog.
Of course: YMMV

No.
Not exactly. The ford powertrain warranty is toast, but Roush will cover their portion for 3/36, no more and if I recall correctly it’s 3/36 from original purchase date or something hyper technical like that. It’s better than nothing, for sure, but it’s not all that.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get an honest 17 in mixed driving. If yours doesn't improve after a tank or two, you'll know why the previous owner dumped it ...