Dashcam / vehicle break in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Raptor was broken into last night... luckily nothing was taken. Am looking at other security measures for the house itself (better lighting, more cameras etc) but am also curious about adding a dashcam to the truck itself, to possibly record something like this, if it happened again.

Would need to be something somewhat hidden so it isn't obvious to a thief to steal... something with forward and rear facing cameras, motion detection etc. Also any advice on if this kind of thing is even worth doing, or if it will create another item for someone to steal.

Appreciate it!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
most dash cams are not "hidden". They can be inconspicuous, but almost impossible to hide.

I have a front and rear camera. i dont notice them because i have had them for 5 months now. But a thief looking into a car can see them. Part of the hope is they see the cam, and think they have already been recorded, and move onto another car.

The other problem is battery drain. getting a full overnight record is tough. most cameras get 4-6 hours before the voltage drop is enough to turn off their battery devices. If you go without the safety device for you battery, you may make it through the night, but some mornings, you may find your truck wont start.

I am in STL....hit me up with a PM if you want to see what I have. If you have to park outside at night, best bet is to have external cameras from your home.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what about a motion sensor cam? heck... an Amazon Blink camera would work if you are close enough to home wifi. Blinks run on AA lithium, motion triggered and upload video to an app. Even if they notice and whack the camera, it’s probably already too late.

OP
OP
the_revisionist

the_revisionist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most dash cams are not "hidden". They can be inconspicuous, but almost impossible to hide.

I have a front and rear camera. i dont notice them because i have had them for 5 months now. But a thief looking into a car can see them. Part of the hope is they see the cam, and think they have already been recorded, and move onto another car.

The other problem is battery drain. getting a full overnight record is tough. most cameras get 4-6 hours before the voltage drop is enough to turn off their battery devices. If you go without the safety device for you battery, you may make it through the night, but some mornings, you may find your truck wont start.

I am in STL....hit me up with a PM if you want to see what I have. If you have to park outside at night, best bet is to have external cameras from your home.

appreciate it bud. We already have cams all over the exterior of the house but I parked in a different spot this one time and it happened lol. Will be adding more cameras to the system we already have, so it wouldn't happen again. Just curious really for times i'm parked somewhere else. I've seen a few that only record on motion which would be cool, but I guess anything sitting there in the open is asking to be stolen, so probably not worth it in this scenario. I may take you up on that offer anyway, was thinking of getting a dashcam regardless, some terrible drivers around STL.

what about a motion sensor cam? heck... an Amazon Blink camera would work if you are close enough to home wifi. Blinks run on AA lithium, motion triggered and upload video to an app. Even if they notice and whack the camera, it’s probably already too late.

Something that uploaded to the cloud would be cool, my truck is also parked within range of my wifi so that's something else to consider too. Appreciate it

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have mine plugged into the accessory plug. It stays hot for an hour after you shut the truck off. Perfect for trips to wally world or going out to dinner.

Any other time, i am parked at work where there are no issues, or in my garage.

I captured an accident in front of me on 141 the 2nd day i had my cam installed. STL drivers suck. Especially if it rains.

Krillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running blackvue 900s w/ 1 battery pack

i had my old truck broken into, and the issue with that is most break in is night time and dash cams are not very good to capture any useable video in the dark

so really the video was useless.

ddpt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is true on the video quality at night, although my hope is someone sees it and they decide to move onto another vehicle.

My blackvue is powered through the magic pro so it helps save battery life.

I also have a wifi hotspot that is contained within my lockerdown safe. the blackvue does connect through the wifi hotspot

The wifi hotspot has it'sown battery, but I have it plugged into a portable lithium-ion battery pack that last about 1 week before it needs recharging

Krillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is true on the video quality at night, although my hope is someone sees it and they decide to move onto another vehicle.

My blackvue is powered through the magic pro so it helps save battery life.

I also have a wifi hotspot that is contained within my lockerdown safe. the blackvue does connect through the wifi hotspot

The wifi hotspot has it'sown battery, but I have it plugged into a portable lithium-ion battery pack that last about 1 week before it needs recharging

i have exact same setup lol lock box with wifi hotspot

Joshua

Reaction score
What dash cams are you all using? Do they go with the interior? I'd like to get one for quick trips.