Dashcam Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a brief summary of what I used to hardwire my BlackVue dashcam, should anyone else be looking at installing something similar and taking advantage of parking mode.

I used two Bussmann ATR Fuse Taps available online. In my case I found them locally at Auto Zone. For constant power I used fuse position 25. This position is unused according to the owner's manual, but there is a fuse located in that position and constant power as well. I tapped onto fuse position 35 for the switched power. This is the signal wire for the built-in inverter. By default it should be hot when the switch is on as low power is provided to the outlets in the cabin. When I pulled off the lower trim panel, there was a bolt that faces the rear of the truck. It appears to secure the dash to the truck, and as I suspected it gave me a near 0 ohm reading. I used it for the ground.

Take note that the fuse taps need to be oriented correctly. The wire coming off of the fuse tap should be pointed toward the front of the vehicle.

By no means am I saying this is the only way to wire the camera up, but it worked well for me. So I thought this may help someone else.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 197
  • list.jpg
    list.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 198

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a difficult time finding a fuse location I was comfortable with the way the add a fuse wire come out of the side kept interfering on my 20 model.
This should be simple for Gen 3 folks.

OP
OP
Adrenlin

Adrenlin

Reaction score
I had a difficult time finding a fuse location I was comfortable with the way the add a fuse wire come out of the side kept interfering on my 20 model.
This should be simple for Gen 3 folks.
I've heard that some fuse taps fit better than others. Maybe that's what you experienced.

I didn't experience any issues with what I used, which is why I wanted to cover the basics of how I installed mine. Hopefully it'll save someone else some time and headache.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a brief summary of what I used to hardwire my BlackVue dashcam, should anyone else be looking at installing something similar and taking advantage of parking mode.

I used two Bussmann ATR Fuse Taps available online. In my case I found them locally at Auto Zone. For constant power I used fuse position 25. This position is unused according to the owner's manual, but there is a fuse located in that position and constant power as well. I tapped onto fuse position 35 for the switched power. This is the signal wire for the built-in inverter. By default it should be hot when the switch is on as low power is provided to the outlets in the cabin. When I pulled off the lower trim panel, there was a bolt that faces the rear of the truck. It appears to secure the dash to the truck, and as I suspected it gave me a near 0 ohm reading. I used it for the ground.

Take note that the fuse taps need to be oriented correctly. The wire coming off of the fuse tap should be pointed toward the front of the vehicle.

By no means am I saying this is the only way to wire the camera up, but it worked well for me. So I thought this may help someone else.
I bought the Thinkware U1000 a year ago front and back 4k and purchased the optional OBD2 port plug n play to enable constant power and parking mode surveillance. It’s been plugged in since day 1 and no battery drainage issues. Even allows you to set a limit to how much power it consumes but I didn’t touch it and it’s always been on and hasn’t affected battery levels whatsoever.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just wanted to say thank you very much for this writeup, it really helped me get my dashcam installed. I also installed a battery pack (Powercell 8) to help the camera record long periods with the truck off. I ended up tapping the 30 amp fuse for the sunroof for my ACC power since the battery pack can draw up to 9 amps when in quick charge mode. Works like a dream, thanks again!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Slowly getting around to installing mine. Did the wiring and just waiting for the Blend mount. Is this the bolt that you used for the ground? Might be me, but I swear my truck is acting strange ever since the wiring... It was shifting funny and told me the key was missing when it wasn't. Android Auto wireless stopped working a few times as well but that's nothing new...

Attachments

• PXL_20230403_194332326.jpg
    PXL_20230403_194332326.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 55

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Installed mine with power cable hidden behind trim all the way down to cigarette lighter plug, haven't hardwired it in yet.

Just wondering.......WHEN are auto manufacturers going to start making a dashcam a standard feature??? I think in Europe and Russia just about everyone has one, not sure if it is a requirement or what. Not that I want Congress telling us one more thing that we have to do, but I bought my dashcam a few days before I got my truck. If some idiot tries to run into me, I want all the evidence I can get. Got too much $ invested in this truck.

OP
OP
Adrenlin

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Slowly getting around to installing mine. Did the wiring and just waiting for the Blend mount. Is this the bolt that you used for the ground? Might be me, but I swear my truck is acting strange ever since the wiring... It was shifting funny and told me the key was missing when it wasn't. Android Auto wireless stopped working a few times as well but that's nothing new...
No. The ground I used was just to the left of the passenger door opening. Can't really speak to whether your grounding point is related to your issue or not though.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. The ground I used was just to the left of the passenger door opening. Can't really speak to whether your grounding point is related to your issue or not though.
I'll get back in there and check out the location. It's working when the truck is running, though the constant power is not. Don't know if related or not. I'll track it down.

Thanks!