Dash cam/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typr04

Reaction score
I was looking at a similar dash cam from blackVue in 1080p but ended up going with Viofo A129 Dual mainly due to price. I'm extremely happy with the Viofo in 1080p.

I ended up wiring to the fuse box on the passenger side with fuse taps. I have my radar already tapped into the mirror. I doubt there is enough room for 2 pins but running it to the fuse box was extremely easy and felt safer having the cam on its own fuse. I believe for this cam it needed to be ran to the fuse box for constant power for parking mode.
What fuse did you tap into? I bought the fuse tap kit to run behind the A pillar and into the fuse box? Just wondering which one to use. I’m ok with on full time since it’s my daily driver or with the accessory so it’s only on when I turn the truck on. Thanks in advance!

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Also running the BlackVue here.... cheapest/simplest one they have, (~$100/single camera/no display/no wifi), wired to mirror. Has been solid. Even got decent footage offroad.

I tried a Roav first but there was no way to configure the display to NOT turn on for 30 seconds every startup (who designs this crap?) The BlackVue just has a very dim blinking red light that I don't notice unless I look behind mirror.

Also I very much wanted one without Wi-Fi...none of these companies will ever do security updates, and these things can record where you go and everything you say, so prefer no wireless anything.

For wiring, just did an Amazon cable wired to mirror, zero issues, no need to route wires, only records when truck is on.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already have my Valentine 1 on a blendmount, so I'm not sure I can hang another on the rearview mirror for the dash cam. I'll have to check.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackvue all the way. I have the 750S 2 channel and I even got one for the wife's car. ZERO issues in 2 years. All the other 6 dashcams I had used over the years, all cook in the summer and fail.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Blackvue all the way. I have the 750S 2 channel and I even got one for the wife's car. ZERO issues in 2 years. All the other 6 dashcams I had used over the years, all cook in the summer and fail.

That’s a pretty helpful data point. I’m less than satisfied with my go pro as a solution, so I’m strongly thinking about a 2 channel cam system.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I went with the NextBase 522GW with the rear camera add on, and have been very happy with it. I used a fuse tap in the passenger side fuse box. I forget what fuse number I used offhand, though.

I purchased it from Amazon (amazon.co.uk, actually, because it was quite a bit cheaper since it's a UK based company).

zwexpress

Reaction score
I have been using the DR75OS -2 ch with the Power Magic Pro for about 3 years now, No problems at all. Great unit, like the app, good for software updates. I used the passengers fuse box to install the taps so I am unable to give any advice using the Mirror. Hopefully you can find a vid on it, if not try customer service, they have been there for me in the past. I am currently using the trucks hot spot for connection, but the hotspot turns off when the vehicle is parked, I will be going back to the ZTE OBD11. Let us know how it turns out for you, was thinking about upgrading to the 4k but was worried about over heating issues using 4K.

OP
OP
Wrong Way

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the dash cams and turns out it’s pretty easy. I thought running the cable for the rear cam was going to be the hard part but it was so simple, just followed the headliner around with the door seals and it took maybe 5min.
Now I’m trying to install my radar detector and there is no room for another set of mirror taps in there, does anyone know of another place up there to tap into?

3530E7B3-5309-44A5-9CEC-09D446D3B800.jpeg

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will share a pic here in a few days to solve the mirror tap y connection into radar and dashcam