Dash Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dashcam has caught me at my best and at my worst. (Mostly at my worst) Unfortunately I have to bag it before I get on base for work. Bottom line it's not always welcome everywhere, especially on military installations. Funny thing is bagging it means putting a black baby sock on it before I get to the gate so it falls withing Army Regulations. Kind of sucks to be honest. But it is so easier than taking it down off the windshield.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I can see the Army regulations nor.

Dash cams must have a left-footed blk (black) baby (infant male no older then >11 months 3 weeks, 6 days, 23 hrs (hours) 59 mins (minutes) & (and) 58.75 sec (seconds,) sock MUST be installed securely on the camera 1.3478 miles from any base entry point.

I messed around in Johnson valley last night ended up passing out in the truck in the rain lol. Anyways I made it home finally and should have some good footage, hopefully some of my drunk stubborn buddy riding his dirt bike with a broken light lol. I followed him for miles with the cam on, he had lots of low speed wrecks. He wouldn't put the bike in my truck he wanted me to ride the bike and let him drive the raptor lol.. No. Damn drunks!

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll just show the front, the rear is splices into the front power so they turn on at the same time syncing the 2 feeds,
----
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422575378.197945.jpg
Suction cups on then ran a 6 foot many USB through the headliner down the side and behind the glove box.
----
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422575408.891280.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422575427.267824.jpg
Made this little thing to plug into the unused fuse slot, I bent a connector, flattened the crimp, drilled a small hole, trimmed off the flaps, soldered the wire into the hole and shrink warped.
----
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422575453.285469.jpg
Plug into fuse location I used the "rear heated seats" location so it turns off with The ignition switch
----
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422575472.928271.jpg
Ground
----
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422575493.787435.jpg
Ran to a cigarette lighter outlet behind the glovebox and plugged in a usb charge thingy
----
Basically ran a power to the back and another cigarette lighter thing behind the seat for the rear power. But I used the supplied charger because there was room and it didn't catch fire.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question on the BlackVue DR650 and Power Magic Pro.

I have see a lot of people picking a fuse that only comes on when the truck is turned on. However, the BlackVue has a feature to record if there is G force (i.e. hitting the truck when parked). I assume this means connecting to a constant on fuse, and using the Power Magic to prevent the battery from draining. Is this correct, or is there an internal battery in the DR650 for this type of record mode.

Thanks in advance.

Update:

I found the information, and have included a writeup of the installation. on my next post

Last edited:

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received my Blackvue DR650 yesterday, and researched the internet and this forum for the installation.

The first thing I bought was a wire tap and some extra fuses. After seeing the instructions, I realized I needed a second tap so that both types of power could be set (always-on, and ignition-on). My third trip to AutoZone was to exchange the ATC(?) larger fuses for the micro ATM size. When I finally pulled one out, I saw that it was a Low Profile type. Doh! However, the micro size worked just fine. The taps I bought had a feature to use both fuses for the one. This was great because I could leave the original fuse connected and use a 5 amp for the cameras. The problem with the taps was that the size prevented the plastic cover from closing. You will see my remedy later. Here are some pictures that may be useful:

20150516_094352_resized.jpg
Note wire taps with red connecting wires and dual fuses

20150516_094336_resized.jpg
The fuse puller has some plastic attachments that were easily broken off which then left room to the higher wire tape. I believe the fuse numbers were 11 (always on) and 35 (ignition only).

20150516_095612_resized.jpg
I elected to install the Power Magic Pro in the glove box and this worked out well. Easily reached to turn on and off the Parking mode. There is a slit behind the glove box that the wire fit nicely, feeding them directly toward the fuse panel. Note: be sure to allow sufficient length of wire to allow the glove box to be fully opened (i.e., so all the contents fall to the floor).

20150516_111929_resized.jpg
Running the wires was easier that expected. Just pulling the plastic away and tucking the wire into the molding. As expected the wires were extremely long. So I placed the extra (from the rear camera) under the molding at the passenger visor.

20150516_113745_resized.jpg
The extra wire from the Front Camera was coiled and tie-wraped at this location.

(Continued on next post to add more pictures...)

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20150516_114109_resized.jpg
The extra wire from the Black Magic Pro was coiled, tie-wrapped, and tucked in this location.

20150516_114657_resized.jpg
To allow room for the wires to leave the fuse cover, I opened the top to feed the wires out.

For the Ground Wire, I used the same location as Ika's post. Thanks!

For the wires coming out of the Front Camera, I tie-wrapped them together in a couple of spots, went under the back mirror post, then up to the molding where I used two of the enclosed wire holders.

So from the driver's perspective, I cannot see the wires at all. And the Power Magic Pro is well placed in the glove box for easy access. All in all, a straight forward installation, thanks to all discussions and videos here.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know...

(Now to install my RetraxPro MX which just came by FedEx)