Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Dakar Rally 2017 Jan 2-14

Discussion in 'FRF Sports Bar' started by Otis857, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Otis857

Otis857 Full Access Member

Well gang, its almost that time. The 2017 Dakar rally will be in 3 South American countries for 2017. Starting in Asuncion, Paraguay to La Paz, Bolivia and back down to Buenos Aires, Argentina. The website shows coverage on NBCSN for your DVRing pleasure.

This year, I was disappointed not to see Robbie Gordon's name on the competitors list, and only seeing 1 lonely American to represent us (Ricky Brabec on a Honda) in what is arguably one of, if not the toughest off races on the planet! Oh well, not popular enough for sponsorship opportunities i guess.

What i was surprised to see is the rally star studded group running Puegots this year. Heading the French car team will be Mr Dakar, Stephan Peterhansel along with WRC stars Carlos Sainz, Sebastian Loeb (the MAN!), and Nani Roma. Also bike star Cyril Despres will be in a Puegot too. And Lots of Toyota drivers to challenge them, a few Minis entered and a few VW Touregs too. And I did see 3 Fords entered by drivers from countries I dont recognize, cuz I dont know what the flags by their names stand for, Ha. I wonder if they are running Eco Boost motors? No Chevys or Rams entered, ya big surprise there huh?

So check it out! Definitely a great 12 day DVR ride for the new year!

2014RubyRed, Raven13 and Ruger like this.
  2. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

THANK YOU, OTIS!!!
    I love to watch the Dakar. It's been a favorite in my house for many years, and I appreciate the heads-up greatly.

Are Andy and Barney going to put an RCA B&W TV in your cell so you can watch?

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Mad Frog Mattis

Robby said with SST taking off, he just doesn't have the time to do Dakar this year.

4. WyoStorm

WyoStorm FRF Addict

It won't be the same without Robby. Brabec did awesome last year and he will be worth watching! Always enjoy the big trucks too.

5. Otis857

No problem Ruger. i missed about 1/2 of it last year so I thought others here would want a heads up too

Actually Aunt Bea is bringing out the big screen 27 incher with the custom rabbit ears. She has just the right tin foil touch. They said I could watch if I dont get plastered first. :biggrin:

6. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

@Otis857, do you happen to know what channel Aunt Bea is going to turn to for the Dakar? I'll need to adjust my rabbit ears, too! Oh yeah, UHF or VHF???

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Robby said last year that he was pretty much done with the Dakar.

Jimbo likes this.
  7. Otis857

Aunt Bea says its on NBC Sports high Def channel. Who knew America's favorite Aunt from the 60's was such an off road enthusiast. Its on Directv channel 220. don't know what channel on cable or Dish.

8. Ditchplains1

Ditchplains1 FRF Addict

Otis857,
    I love the race....but it's the big boys that I love to watch...DeRouy, Chagin, et al bombing in 10 metric ton behemoths....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  9. Ditchplains1

Ditchplains1 FRF Addict

And an artists rendering of a possible future Dakar heavy truck....

Attached Files:

10. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

Thanks, Otis. Please give the Mayberry gang our best.
    If you happen to see Earnest T., give him a sedative. :)