Daily Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dprdmd

Reaction score
Two questions regarding daily driving:
1. Is there any long term harm to the engine if I mostly drive in sport mode (I don't care about the mpg effects)
2. Is there any possible long term harm to leaving it in 4auto (My wife's Navigator stays in 4A but we lease it so I'm not really worried about it)
Thanks for your input.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Two questions regarding daily driving:
1. Is there any long term harm to the engine if I mostly drive in sport mode (I don't care about the mpg effects)
2. Is there any possible long term harm to leaving it in 4auto (My wife's Navigator stays in 4A but we lease it so I'm not really worried about it)
Thanks for your input.
1. No, but you will probably get a blister from pushing the dang mode button so many times. However, having callus's in that particular area could prove quite fruitful.

2. No, some have argued lower gas mileage because the front end is engaged all the time but as you are crawling over a Prius you won't have to stop and think about it in a pinch.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't drive in 4A *all* the time, but I do whenever I want to drive in a spirited fashion or if it's slippery for any reason. I haven't noticed any ill-effects.
Same here. Once you get a tune you really don't need to switch to sport so often and ANY wet pavement is almost a must-have 4A.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Once you get a tune you really don't need to switch to sport so often and ANY wet pavement is almost a must-have 4A.
Having 4A on our last 3 vehicles has made it a requirement for me when we buy a vehicle. It's surprising how many 4WD vehicles don't have transfer cases that support it. After the camera system, I'd say it's the next most important safety feature for me.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1. No, but you will probably get a blister from pushing the dang mode button so many times. However, having callus's in that particular area could prove quite fruitful.

2. No, some have argued lower gas mileage because the front end is engaged all the time but as you are crawling over a Prius you won't have to stop and think about it in a pinch.

I really couldn’t have articulated this better.

A couple other things to note.
once in a while, you might get the urge to give it a little more throttle than you really should. Now, if you are in 2H, and say you are on or go over stretch of pavement with a little sand or salt thrown for snow, you could easily end up spinning those KO2’s mercilessly, which while not dramatic, tweaks some motorists the wrong way. Particularly those with an excessive amount of colored lights on their vehicles.

Also, 4a as I understand it puts less work on the IWE solenoid.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
also i highly suggest buying an iwe valve and keeping it handy in the glovebox/center console. easy peace of mind and quick swap if you need to ever do it. i literally bought one as a "just incase" item and literally the next week i had to swap it out.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
also i highly suggest buying an iwe valve and keeping it handy in the glovebox/center console. easy peace of mind and quick swap if you need to ever do it. i literally bought one as a "just incase" item and literally the next week i had to swap it out.
Yep, throwing a spare in the truck is pretty much a "must do" mod. Once you see where it is, it's such an easy fix if you ever have the issue.