Daily Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any hard facts re either answer, just general impressions.

Sport mode is asking more of the drivetrain, especially if that means you are getting after it more than if you were in N mode. Asking more from the truck means greater wear and tear. Whether greater is .02% or 4%, I don't know. I do know with past vehicles, the harder I drove them, the more I broke.

4A is the same concept. More stuff is whirling and spinning = generally equals more wear. Again, whether it is notable is another issue.

If 4A works for you, great. If it averts a wreck, even better.
If sport works, great. If it causes a wreck or is a ticket magnet, you"re an adult and make your own decisions.

For me, I slip it in 4A for really heavy rain, icey conditions, heck, even going up dry, steeper hills. More sure footed, less strain on the back tires and rear drivetrain. 2WD for most daily - better mileage, less torque steer, less wear. If snow is deeper or really slippery conditions - snow over ice etc., I'll use 4WD over 4A to lock in my 4wd, vs having a 'clutch' toggle it on, off, on, off... and so on. A more positive driving experience too.

4A on gravel, sport mode is amazing. 2wd baja on gravel is a driver's mode. Lots of fun, but the truck might outperfom your skills in a flash. It's amazing what those modes will do!

4g5kODOkHcaHw_aaRFWJxe4HA=w1265-h949-no?authuser=0.jpg

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Yep, throwing a spare in the truck is pretty much a "must do" mod. Once you see where it is, it's such an easy fix if you ever have the issue.

the peace of mind for $20 is well worth it and with the power of youtube even the most un mechanical inclined could swap this out lol

lobsterman

Reaction score
Thank you! Still trying to learn. Wont have my 22 raptor for who knows how long, but when I get it you suggest I carry a spare IWE valve? Am I correct to think being a new truck it may be a while before a replacement is needed? I will research how to swap out if it gets to that point. Thanks again, so much great info many people provide! Btw, will post pics when it comes in-no Prius here!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! Still trying to learn. Wont have my 22 raptor for who knows how long, but when I get it you suggest I carry a spare IWE valve? Am I correct to think being a new truck it may be a while before a replacement is needed? I will research how to swap out if it gets to that point. Thanks again, so much great info many people provide! Btw, will post pics when it comes in-no Prius here!
No, 2021+ F-150s use Electric IWEs, there is no vacuum system.