Cylinder Numbering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a misfire on cylinder 8 (P308). Are the block cylinders numbered as follows? I ask because I had to make a patch line for what I thought was the #1 cylinder and I'd figure that would be the one misfiring. I haven't replaced the plugs on the driver's side yet so nothing has changed on that side. (Snow and cold halted the job) Have new cables coming in just thought I'd get the hard part done first. I was getting the amber check engine flash under load but it would clear. Now solid with the code. The spark plugs were definitely showing wear so it was time.

Wanting to get it straight so I can order up a new COP if the plugs and wires don't take care of it as they are left/right specific.

XXXBumperxxx

5 ___ 1
6 ___ 2
7 ___ 3
8 ____ 4

xxxxTransxxxx

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents. MTF thats the correct one. Ended up getting a Haynes book and calling Ford to confirm. Didn't feel like buying multiple COP's to fix one and I just couldn't find a chart that would confirm the numbering. Google failed.

And someone explain how a right side COP costs 80 on RockAuto and a left only 60. They are the same freakin part only reverse. Though I'm thankful they have it that cheap for Motorcraft.

Autozone and the other places wanted 122 and up. Try that times 8.

Last edited:

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last picture is correct, cylinder #8 is the one closest to firewall, driver side...

I had same misfire problem, but only during very hot weather this summer, over 100-104 deg...I did change plugs few days ago and all coil wires + cop on that cylinder...Nothing unsual was noticed...I was late for plugs change so I would bet my plugs were somewhat "old"

OP
OP
G

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last picture is correct, cylinder #8 is the one closest to firewall, driver side...

I had same misfire problem, but only during very hot weather this summer, over 100-104 deg...I did change plugs few days ago and all coil wires + cop on that cylinder...Nothing unsual was noticed...I was late for plugs change so I would bet my plugs were somewhat "old"

Mine was doing it during regular driving and idling. It started small but over a week got worse till finally started flashing the warning light on acceleration followed by a solid light.

Got everything but the wires swapped out tonight. Plugs were definitely ready for a change. The #8 COP got swapped out. No more check engine light and running strong. Still waiting on the wires, though. Currently running the originals except for one lonely Accel Yellow wire I had to cut and modify to get by due to the #1 wire tearing apart. Fedex has the new ones along with my UCA bushings, but they are stuck in PA (weather?).