GEN 2 Cylinder Number Assignments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had the plugs changed and I’m now getting a misfire. DTCs are PO316 (misfire on startup) and PO306 (misfire on cylinder 6). I’d like to just check to see that the coil is properly seated as a first step. Can anyone tell me which cylinder is number 6? I did some searching around but so far I haven’t found the answer. I’m probably not searching for it correctly because I’m sure the info is out there. Thanks.

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To follow up on this, I have found some information stating that all Ford 6 cylinder engines follow the same cylinder assignment protocol. From front to back, passenger side is 1-2-3, and driver’s side is 4-5-6. So number 6 would be driver’s side and farthest to the rear.

If anyone can confirm this, I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
CigarPundit

CigarPundit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Same result. As long as I’m in there, I’m going to pull the plug and check the gap. Since it is only happening on one cylinder, maybe that one is gapped a little too close?

Last edited:

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Different than what I found, but same result. As long as I’m in there, I’m going to pull the plug and check the gap. Since it is only happening on one cylinder, maybe that one is gapped a little too close?

You're welcome!
The plug being off could be the case!