Have you had issues with the Ignition system on your 6.2?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I drive a prius

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DreamcastERA

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 Raptor with 6.2 of course. Love it! Been a great truck. However,

Recently I noticed a ticking sound under the hood. A louder and different one than the normal ticking I usually hear. Upon further inspection I could see Cylinder #7 (third back from the front on the drivers side) ignition coil arcing intermittently. I had no check engine light and no stored misfire codes - before this I had a perceived loss of MPG , maybe ~1 MPG. But I'm in south Florida on some pretty terrible roads for about a month so I dismissed it.

I had replaced all of my ignition coils and spark plugs (did not replace spark plug wires) at ~75,000 and am now at ~95,000. I replaced the plugs with NGK and the coils with Denso. After noticing the arcing I went to NAPA and bought a Standard brand ignition coil - which *seemed* to stop arcing. I couldn't hear the sound anymore, but it was daylight so I really couldn't tell if there was visible arcing. I went ahead and drove the truck but now noticed a transmission/torque converter shutter in 6th gear t ~50 MPH. Turned out the ignition coil wasn't working properly and the torque converter didn't want to lock up all the way in 6th gear. I put the old plug back in - and despite intermittent arcing - the truck was back to normal. I ordered a new DENSO and returned the Standard to NAPA.

Yesterday, I put the new Denso coil in and noticed the exact same arcing. Couldn't tell if it was at the boot - and it also arced at the top of the coil. I put dielectric grease in the plug wire and the ignition coil itself - and some around the boot. No change. I then noticed that there was arcing coming from the secondary spark plug on the same cylinder! I went to remove the spark plug wire from the bottom plug and the wire came out (came out very very easily, TOO easily) - leaving the boot still connected to the plug. I shoved it back into the plug and the truck runs the same as before.

So, experts and oracles! Do ya'll think that the extra resistance caused by the poor connection at the bottom spark plug could cause this odd arcing? Or is something else to blame? I have to keep driving the truck for work and it seems to be happy. I have some cheap car quest wires in to try. I ordered some high quality ones that are on the way as well.

Sorry for the long post ! Didn't wanna leave anything out! Thanks for any help!!

IMG_20201008_214306.jpg

OP
OP
DreamcastERA

DreamcastERA

Reaction score
UPDATE:
A cheap carquest spark plug wire fixed the issue! This is somewhat circumstantial - but there also appeared to be a slight MPG increase down the same stretch of road. I'll be replacing the rest of the wires (and the carquest one) in a couple days! Thankfully it ended up costing $7. I'm able to return the Denso coil (thanks Rock Auto) 1f601.png