CV Half shaft replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dozer466

Reaction score
My passenger side half shaft inner boot is torn. I’m going to replace the entire unit and then replace the boot on this one and keep it as a spare. How hard is it to replace the entire unit? Do I need to be concerned about fluid leaking out of the front diff when I pull the axle out? Is it held in by a retainer clip? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If not torn too bad, black shoe goo makes a good seal over tears in rubber. Cheap temporary repair anyway.

OP
OP
Dozer466

Dozer466

Reaction score
It’s not bad. I actually put duct tape over the rip to get back to Texas from Virginia. Not much grease has come out. I’ll give it a try. Appreciate it.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a bad job. Just jack up that side only and you wont lose any fluid. If you replace the boots on that shaft, get a pair from SDHQ. They are much more pliable than stock.

OP
OP
Dozer466

Dozer466

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the entire unit. The boot was ripped in half. I had to take my spindle off (fabricated spindle). The shrouds on the spindle are so deep that you can’t get the axle out without removing it. All in all pretty straight forward though.