CV axle/IWE problem HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCM

Reaction score
hello everyone. I have a 2013 raptor scab and I noticed my gas mileage starting to go down. I also always have had this weird turning/metallic sound when I gas it(like right before it shifts up). I’ve done all maintenance done regularly on my engine/tranny and steering. 2wd and 4wd work fine and there isn’t any other noise than what I described and the loss of mpg. I had someone drive and I looked at the axles and other suspension parts. I noticed in 2wd my driver side cv axle is spinning forward and my passenger side is spinning backwards it looks like. I know I probably am not getting enough pressure for the vacuum to fully engage for 2wd. There is no loud noises so I’m guessing I didn’t damage any actuators or the actual IWE. I replaced the IWE solenoid and have a new check valve coming in the mail(ford didn’t have any gen 1). After replacing the solenoid I still have the same results. There is 100% vacuum pressure on the hoses but it’s not fully putting it in 2wd. After replacing the check valve the only other component would be the hoses/tubing correct? And if all that fails new IWE system? I feel like I am just having a vacuum pressure problem. If anyone could give me some more advice that would be great. I have a trip to Vegas next weekend and don’t want to go to the dealership. I can take videos if needed but DS axle spins forward and PS spins backwards in 2wd. Everything shifts between 2wd and 4wd fine.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your iwe is probably locked up. prob going to need to pull and and replace. i did mine not to long ago. its not too bad. i wish i had known about the RPG thicker IWE ring when i did it, as i would have put that on.

OP
OP
KCM

KCM

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My driver side IWE actuator broke in half. I just checked out the thicker iwe rings from rpg and will put those on sometime when I’ll be able to change both out.