Customer Satisfaction Program 20N11

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLU

Reaction score
Looks like Ford is addressing some of the sun roof issues Raptor owners have experienced. Got a recall in the mail from Ford stating it may be possible for the roof rail covers to become loose or detach from the vehicle. Ford Motor Company is providing a one-time repair on the roof rail covers and attaching clips for 10 year or 150K. Hopefully this will be coming out for all. May want to contact your local dealer if not seeing the letter in mail.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I know I’m probably going to incur @FordTechOne’s wrath for this but...

I hate that accursed moon roof, it’s nothing but a profit monster like the thousand dollar graphics and interior packages over the years. Worse though, at least the profit making graphics and interior packages don’t really cost Ford money to upkeep at the level these moon roof failures do.

Here’s an idea Ford and I know it’s a radical one but hear me out.

STOP putting the moon roof in work trucks and Raptors ! Think of the potential warranty savings. That warranty savings translates to more profit, less overhead

Just sayin’

Yeah, yeah, I can already hear the cries and protests of the users who proclaim they’ve never had a moon roof problem and worked great from day one. I hear the same song from students bringing their barely shot 1911’s to class, only to have them start choking 300 rounds into things - if that long.

sure, there are examples of the F series moon roof out there that haven’t been problematic. Probably the majority of them. But there have also been legion of failures on this design and it’s a PITA.

Good to hear that Ford is doing something about it.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hate that accursed moon roof, it’s nothing but a profit monster like the thousand dollar graphics and interior packages over the years. Worse though, at least the profit making graphics and interior packages don’t really cost Ford money to upkeep at the level these moon roof failures do.

STOP putting the moon roof in work trucks and Raptors ! Think of the potential warranty savings. That warranty savings translates to more profit, less overhead

Just sayin’

Yeah, yeah, I can already hear the cries and protests of the users who proclaim they’ve never had a moon roof problem and worked great from day one. I hear the same song from students bringing their barely shot 1911’s to class, only to have them start choking 300 rounds into things - if that long.

sure, there are examples of the F series moon roof out there that haven’t been problematic. Probably the majority of them. But there have also been legion of failures on this design and it’s a PITA.

Ford is happy to not do the moon roof.... It's just the greedy ass dealers that order them on everything. Ridiculousness.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are a PITA as far as NVH goes, however, I do love mine. Nothing I love more than to open the back window a little and crack the roof just to get a good crisp chill going in the cab. Turn on the seat heaters and what a good feeling on the way to work. But they ARE a PITA for sure.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like Ford is addressing some of the sun roof issues Raptor owners have experienced. Got a recall in the mail from Ford stating it may be possible for the roof rail covers to become loose or detach from the vehicle. Ford Motor Company is providing a one-time repair on the roof rail covers and attaching clips for 10 year or 150K. Hopefully this will be coming out for all. May want to contact your local dealer if not seeing the letter in mail.
Read the letter more carefully. It’s for 2016-2019 Explorer roof rail covers. Something F-150 does not even have.

The roof opening panel issue was already addressed with a TSB that includes upgraded parts. Keeping the seals maintained with Krytox grease and opening the panel on a regular basis is the key to avoiding issues.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Just sayin’

The roof opening panel is hardly a profit monster. When you consider the cost of design, engineering, safety testing, and the cost to buy it from the supplier and implement it into manufacturing at the plant, I highly doubt they are making much on it.

It’s an option driven by consumer demand and competition from other manufacturers. As long as people want it, they’ll continue to offer it as an option.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s an option driven by consumer demand and competition from other manufacturers. As long as people want it, they’ll continue to offer it as an option.

True, and as we’ve seen recently from our member in South America, the moon roof doubles as an escape hatch when you need it. :-D

I don’t know. I hear you on the amortized cost to bring it to market etc.
I’ll make one comment on ‘as long as people want it, it will continue to be offered as an option.’

It’s the dealers who want it more than the consumers IMO. We get to either buy the Raptor with the moonroof, or hopefully get a dealer with an allocation who will order one to our liking, not bait & switch on us with the price and get us a truck some time in the future. OR take the one on the dealer lot for (what is it now?) +1800 for the moon roof and the other options we weren’t really interested in but it is what it is.

A lot of us on FRF did exactly that equation and opted to take the moonroof truck.
And to be fair, that Krytox stuff does work well and seems to keep the glass from sticking, which I believe is the main cause of our discontent with the moonroof.