Custom Wilwood Big Brake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, Thank you.

Now I would really like to hear your thoughts on "rotors aren't there to cool anything". I am always open to new information.
Your post made it seem like the rotors were somehow supposed to cool something, like the calipers - maybe im wrong. Anyway, the rotors only need to cool themselves. A floating rotor won't cool itself any better than a solid rotor so in terms of cooling, it doesn't matter although the floating rotor will be more expensive and lighter. A solid rotor would probably dissipate more heat actually.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies, I did not relay my thoughts correctly. The rotors need to transfer the heat out of themselves. The brake pads / backing plates and caliper pistons should isolate the heat from getting to the caliper and brake fluid.

The idea behind the floating rotors are to allow the rotor to expand and contract with heat differences individually from the hub, reducing the chances of brake drag and to not transfer any or as much heat to the hub/wheel bearings.

Some may argue that the solid rotor will transfer heat to the wheel to help get rid of heat, other will say a solid rotor will put heat to the bearings. We attempted to try proving this theory a couple times, never got any real information.

When it comes to brakes there are a lot of things to consider. I always look to the racing industry for most things car related.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When it comes to brakes there are a lot of things to consider. I always look to the racing industry for most things car related.
Yeah but - it's a truck :p I would argue that durability is the most important which is why Alcon made their kit for the raptor with iron calipers and solid one piece rotors. R1 seems to have what you are after - lightweight aluminum calipers (6 piston front, 4 piston rear) with 2 piece floating rotors.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah but - it's a truck :p I would argue that durability is the most important which is why Alcon made their kit for the raptor with iron calipers and solid one piece rotors. R1 seems to have what you are after - lightweight aluminum calipers (6 piston front, 4 piston rear) with 2 piece floating rotors.
Performance and durability should go neck and neck

FDNY-L107

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please add me in as well. Although I just talked with a Wilwood engineer earlier this week about a kit for my wife's 20 Expedition, and he told me that due to COVID, they are way backed up in development for new applications. This may of course, not be applicable to our truck.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor has been out long before that. Never seen a Wilwood kit for our trucks. They could easily do a 4 piston kit with 17” wheels and think they have a smaller 6p caliper in there lineup.

gordo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested if the price was right. I have 17 methods. I do agree tho about color options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nick9323

Reaction score
Any updates on this?
Still working on it, had an issue at work that took a few 80hr weeks...

All this attention has gotten Wilwood interested again so they may just do it now, which is both good and bad. They have more resources to get everything perfect but it will likely take longer. Talking with them some more in the next few weeks.