GEN 2 CSP 21M06 - Unintended Tailgate Opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ha! I knew I wasn't going crazy! Months ago (in winter, here in CO), I was having some sort of work done on my Raptor at the dealer, and I mentioned to them that it seemed like my tailgate had popped open by itself 2 or 3 times previously, and asked them to take a look at it. There was no CSP notice at the time, and they couldn't find anything wrong, so I just chalked it up to my having pressed the tailgate release button accidentally with the keys still in my pocket, even though it seems very hard to do. Now that I know it wasn't me, I feel much better about the whole thing! :)

Rapman

Reaction score
It’s the result of water intrusion in the harness connectors that run along the bottom of the tailgate. The water can short a power circuit to the tailgate latch actuator circuit within the connector shell, causing it to release the latch. The FSA has the dealer split the harness into 2 separate connectors to eliminate the possibility of that occurring.
How is 21M06 different from 20N03, which was another tailgate CSP last year?

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has happened a couple times to us. First time we were on a ski trip to Telluride Colorado. We made a fuel stop and I made one last extra walk around the truck before getting in while on the way there. Good thing I did-otherwise all our gear would have been out on the highway!!! All I could figure was I inadvertently pressed the buttons on the remote in my pocket-Thank you for clueing me in!!!!!!!!!! I called the dealer and they said they don't have the details yet on the fix, but expect to by mid June. Does that check out with what you all are hearing?

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have not fixed it yet.

Yes, been running around since Jan with a scratch on my truck... And yes, it has bugged the crap out of me!

On FB someone posted a response to my comment that the details of the Campaign mention damage will be fixed. I am trying to get confirmation of that now.

I was the guy on FB when you responded to the post of this I put in the GEN2 group. Howdy!

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back from dealer today.

"Temporary fix" applied (I didn't ask what that entailed).

Perm fix should be available Q3 2022.

Claim submitted to Ford for the damage.

Attached is a scan of the 21M06 CSP bulletin if anyone needs it, and it specifically mentions claims for damages.

Service advisor said it might not be until after Q3 2022 that they address damage.

Attachments

• CSP 21M06.PDF
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back from dealer today.

"Temporary fix" applied (I didn't ask what that entailed).

Perm fix should be available Q3 2022.

Claim submitted to Ford for the damage.

Attached is a scan of the 21M06 CSP bulletin if anyone needs it, and it specifically mentions claims for damages.

Service advisor said it might not be until after Q3 2022 that they address damage.
I think the temporary fix is a new wiring harness and button... The tech left the wires in my truck when he wasn't able to complete it because I had the key to the spare tire!

Attachments

• 16546441565703301990803712975722.jpg
    16546441565703301990803712975722.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 22