CSP (21B10 or 21N03) not associated with my VIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kHaN

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this topic is discussed at nauseam but have an interesting situation, possibly.

I just purchased a 2018 Raptor and read bout the CSPs but when I looked at the CARFAX on this, I didn't see the CSP. So moved forward with the purchase from a third party. Now that I have it, I finally noticed the cam phaser chatter on cold starts. So I called the dealer about the issue and inquired about getting this address. Long story short, 21B10 hasn't been done nor 21N03 previously. So the cam phaser replacement would be 100% on me since the 21B10 has ended.
I called Ford and they are stating my VIN never had the 21B10 CSP advisory. My VIN shows a few CSPs but nothing regarding the cam phaser. Which is interesting per the Ford rep as any CSP should show up regardless of the program end date. So the rep stated that if I believe my VIN should be included with that advisory then I need to call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If this is true then it would explain why the PO may have never got it addressed since they were never notified of the issue.

Anyone else ever had this experience or heard of this?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All 2017 to early build 2020 models were included in 21B10. The reason it didn’t show up on your search is because the program expired 7/31/2022. The previous owner would have been mailed a letter as well as received a notification in Ford Pass. Since the recall wasn’t completed by that date, the program will not show up as active.

As far as NHTSA, they only regulate safety issues. This was a customer satisfaction program (CSP), so NHTSA doesn’t apply in this case.

OP
OP
K

kHaN

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All 2017 to early build 2020 models were included in 21B10. The reason it didn’t show up on your search is because the program expired 7/31/2022. The previous owner would have been mailed a letter as well as received a notification in Ford Pass. Since the recall wasn’t completed by that date, the program will not show up as active.

As far as NHTSA, they only regulate safety issues. This was a customer satisfaction program (CSP), so NHTSA doesn’t apply in this case.
That is what the dealer told me but Ford Customer Service said otherwise. Ford Customer Service stated that even if the CSP expired, they would still show it but with the expired date. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It makes sense that it wouldn't show up if the CSP expired but of the three people I spoke with, no one understood that.

So in short, unless anyone has any other ideas, I am left holding 100% of the cost to repair this?

OP
OP
K

kHaN

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Additional clarity here, the 21B10 doesn't show up as a non-active CPS. I spoke with dealership and Ford directly. Ford says any CPS , whether active or not, will be associated with the VIN. So that is where things are interesting/frustrating.

The only CPS I have related to the motor is 21N08. So per Ford Customer Service, they are saying 21B10 was never applied to my VIN. So the previous owner, per Ford, would have not been notified of this issue. They only send out notices when a CPS is associated to the VIN.

I called Ford Customer service again yesterday and the person understand my concern but they cannot do anything as 21B10 (or 21N03) are not tied to my VIN in any way (inactive or closed). The rep did refer me to the BBB to look into why the CPS was never associated with my VIN.

aeroclown

Reaction score
So, for what its worth. I was aware of 21B10 but I put off taking my truck in for a better time, I thought I had more time, and that one is on me. However like you Ford also shows that the CSP was never applied to my VIN, expired or otherwise, despite having a letter in hand. My truck was made in 2019 before the new part was supposedly even available. So it should have had the CSP applied to the VIN. Interestingly enough I was notified about 21N03 which I can still see in FordPass. Which makes very little sense given the context of 21N03 so your situation is not unique.

Knock on wood, I do not have any cam phaser rattle at this point and I'm still trying to find a dealer that will update my ECU programming at my cost. Most I've tried so far say they don't want to because....well 21B10 expired, the CSP can't be found on my vehicle VIN by Ford and, oh... you don't have any noise. I've clearly not found the person up the flag pole as of yet.

So with that said something is definitely up with tracking on this stuff or someone somewhere is training customer service improperly. I called Ford out of curiosity based on various dealer feedback which is when I discovered they also claimed to not see the CSP applied to my Vin expired or otherwise. I was also told that they should be able to see non-active and expired items in their system as well.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Additional clarity here, the 21B10 doesn't show up as a non-active CPS. I spoke with dealership and Ford directly. Ford says any CPS , whether active or not, will be associated with the VIN. So that is where things are interesting/frustrating.

The only CPS I have related to the motor is 21N08. So per Ford Customer Service, they are saying 21B10 was never applied to my VIN. So the previous owner, per Ford, would have not been notified of this issue. They only send out notices when a CPS is associated to the VIN.

I called Ford Customer service again yesterday and the person understand my concern but they cannot do anything as 21B10 (or 21N03) are not tied to my VIN in any way (inactive or closed). The rep did refer me to the BBB to look into why the CPS was never associated with my VIN.
I think the Customer Service people use a different system than PTS/OASIS, which would explain why they can’t see expired programs.

I ran a VIN the on a 2012 Fusion the other day and it still showed a CSP that had expired years ago.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I checked this morning , I'm about ready to purchase Flood Ford premium care ESP $1024 get 3 more years / 60,000 miles on my 2019. 0 deductable plus rental car. This will cover phasers and a lot of other things until i get a Raptor R or TRX or Escalade V within next few years.

OP
OP
K

kHaN

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Customer Service people use a different system than PTS/OASIS, which would explain why they can’t see expired programs.

I ran a VIN the on a 2012 Fusion the other day and it still showed a CSP that had expired years ago.

What the dealership noticed, which they don't understand, is why 21N08 is applied to my VIN. Per the dealership, 21N08 should only be applied to my VIN once 21B10 is done. 21N08 has a prerequisite of 21B10 so it is a quandary.

I have the cam phaser scheduled for replacement in Dec by dealership (they are backlogged) regardless off all this. If there is anything which can be sorted out to get it covered then great.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What the dealership noticed, which they don't understand, is why 21N08 is applied to my VIN. Per the dealership, 21N08 should only be applied to my VIN once 21B10 is done. 21N08 has a prerequisite of 21B10 so it is a quandary.

I have the cam phaser scheduled for replacement in Dec by dealership (they are backlogged) regardless off all this. If there is anything which can be sorted out to get it covered then great.
21N08 applies to any vehicle that was included in 21B10; they were issued at the same time. That allows dealers to claim both on the same RO in the event that there is an issue after 21B10. That is the only reason 21N08 exists; it should remain open (incomplete) unless there’s drivability issues after 21B10. When 21B10 is complete, 21N03 then becomes available.