Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Cruise Control on Crack

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by 04Ram2500Hemi, May 26, 2020.

1. 04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi It's Just a Username

So I’m sure it’s another Ford Safety Feature (I’m starting to miss my 88 Ford Bronco’s simplicity) but I noticed that with the cruise control set if I enter somewhat of a twisty corner the truck slows down on its own. One corner the truck slowed down 5mph.

Please tell me I can shut that shit off!

2. realjones88

realjones88 Full Access Member

If this is with adaptive what's probably happening, especially if the braking is very sudden, is that the truck is seeing something directly in front of it (like oncoming traffic or a barrier) while you are turning and slowing down because it thinks it's too close. The manual has a section in it that explains it better.

You can shut off the adaptive part and just run regular cruise control if you want. If you are already using regular cruise no idea then.

3. 04Ram2500Hemi

I’ll check the manual. I have ACC but there wasn’t anybody near me for miles.

4. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

I can have the truck get fooled into thinking it needs to stop by an oncoming at going around a slight turn at JUST the right angle. It’s happened maybe 3 times in 3 years.

lit there was no oncoming traffic, you may need to visit the stealership.

5. isis

isis Full Access Member

Haven’t seen it in my truck but if you’re in a sweeper on a highway my wife’s MDX stabs the brakes when there’s a semi in the outside lane sometimes. A guard rail would be a bit over sensitive but not out of the question I’d guess

6. Ted Schroeder

Ted Schroeder Member

My 2015 F150 running cruise control at hwy speeds at 70 while passing a semi on several occasions applied full brakes and scared the crap out of me. Luckily no one was behind me or I would have been rear ended. Went to dealer and he told me to turn off crash prevention. I never had a problem after that but got rid of that truck real fast.

7. Chris Mies

Chris Mies Full Access Member

My 2019 does this. I have an S curve on my route that I can take at 60MPH with the cruise on. When I exit the curve I am doing about 55. If I think of it I will disable ACC the next time and see if I get the same result.

8. 04Ram2500Hemi

I’ll be curious if it’s ACC related. Let us know what ya find.

9. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

I have experienced the same thing you describe in my previous 2018 F-150 with Adaptive Cruise Control( ACC). You can switch between Adaptive cruise and standard cruise through the Instrument Cluster menu.

What you experienced is the normal operation (limitation) of ACC. It uses a radar sensor in the lower grille to determine the objects in front of the vehicle. Despite the wild claims that Elon Muskrat makes, semi-autonomous systems like these aren't even close to being able to operate a vehicle without driver supervision and intervention. The system is programmed to be conservative in it's operation, as it should be, and will default to a false positive instead of doing what Tesla does and running the vehicle into the back of a semi at 90MPH.

Kazoo and smurfslayer like this.
  10. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

For the few times it malfunctions and drops anchor for no obvious reason to me, the other 99.7% of the time it’s pretty darn good. You can adjust following distance right on the wheel, and gas it around turtles if needs be. Once you get how and when to use it in your local traffic patterns it really does help reduce fatigue

FordTechOne and Ted Schroeder like this.