CRP Stage Four, etc +e85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People running higher ethanol content should install an Ethanol Content Analyzer. I like this one from Fuel-It. It is Plug & Play. Just swap out the OEM fuel line with this one and connect power/ground and get real-time ethanol content % and fuel temp. No guessing or messy measuring at the pump.

https://www.fuel-it.com/ford-f-150-3-5l-ecoboost-flex-fuel-kits/

That looks like a nice kit, but would it really help people that are mixing EXX tunes? You wouldn't know until after you've filled and put on some miles before you would know what % you have and wouldn't really be able to correct it without loading a different tune if it's off. Or am I overthinking this?

I'm curious about E tunes and would like to try one, but almost thinking I'd rather just update the HPFP or injectors and try to run straight E85 (or whatever the pump is) than worry about trying to mix the right %.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I can say for sure that knowing the exact E content is more accurate than guessing by the gallon in ANY case. I use it and the Fuel-it app to hit the correct E content. If it is off a few % after driving a while then you can correct it by adding some fuel.

The E content is pretty important to get the most efficiency from your tune, but don’t freak out if it is off 2-3%. You will be fine. Just drive until you can correct it, but your engine won’t explode from such a small difference. I usually get it within +/- 1% easy. That close I just leave it as is.

I’m doing my own E content tuning and the engine doesn’t care about +\- 2-3% error. The only thing really affected is a few tenths in the AFR. One thing I’ve done is to give the ECU more range to advance/retard the ignition and the amount of correction applied for each knock event. Realize the the ECU routinely advances the timing until it sees a knock, then drops it back a tiny bit (the amount is adjustable in the tune) to stay tight on the edge of knock. The Ford timing setup is the best (and most complicated!) I’ve seen.

It will be much more trouble IMO to set up for full E85 performance. That may be because I haven’t done it (yet?) on mine.

CRP S5 turbos, manifolds, & downpipes on order.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say for sure that knowing the exact E content is more accurate than guessing by the gallon in ANY case. I use it and the Fuel-it app to hit the correct E content. If it is off a few % after driving a while then you can correct it by adding some fuel.

The E content is pretty important to get the most efficiency from your tune, but don’t freak out if it is off 2-3%. You will be fine. Just drive until you can correct it, but your engine won’t explode from such a small difference. I usually get it within +/- 1% easy. That close I just leave it as is.

I’m doing my own E content tuning and the engine doesn’t care about +\- 2-3% error. The only thing really affected is a few tenths in the AFR. One thing I’ve done is to give the ECU more range to advance/retard the ignition and the amount of correction applied for each knock event. Realize the the ECU routinely advances the timing until it sees a knock, then drops it back a tiny bit (the amount is adjustable in the tune) to stay tight on the edge of knock. The Ford timing setup is the best (and most complicated!) I’ve seen.

It will be much more trouble IMO to set up for full E85 performance. That may be because I haven’t done it (yet?) on mine.

CRP S5 turbos, manifolds, & downpipes on order.

Question about the Fuel It, you can hook it up and just use a app on your phone to read it?

OP
OP
J

jrm

Reaction score
Dyno tune completed with MPT.

535/550 on the daily driver e85 with solid curves. For the "max tune" 567hp but the fuel pump could start being less than 100%, and I am not running that tune.

Boost is around 19.

Earlier the PRX93 was at 522 but the boost was much higher. Switching to e85 meant I could could a small increase and perhaps more importantly reduce the boost.

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
Yes, if you get the Bluetooth version like I'm using.
How did you mount the sensor and where did you get power/ground from? I bought their kit and I can't seem to find any install instructions or pictures. It looks intuitive enough but figured I would ask someone who's already done it.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you mount the sensor and where did you get power/ground from? I bought their kit and I can't seem to find any install instructions or pictures. It looks intuitive enough but figured I would ask someone who's already done it.
The sensor replaces a section of fuel rail down by the fuel tank. You will see a section of line that is removable that is the same length as the sensor they sent. As far as power/ground, I wired mine up to an unused AUX switch, but I'm sure you could use a fuse tap in the fuse box under the hood.

FenixAmmo

Reaction score
The sensor replaces a section of fuel rail down by the fuel tank. You will see a section of line that is removable that is the same length as the sensor they sent. As far as power/ground, I wired mine up to an unused AUX switch, but I'm sure you could use a fuse tap in the fuse box under the hood.
Yes, I get that - what I was asking is, did you leave the sensor using 'dangling' or how did you attach it to the vehicle? The package I received came with a single bolt and I couldn't seem to get an idea of where they wanted that to go.

Thanks!

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I get that - what I was asking is, did you leave the sensor using 'dangling' or how did you attach it to the vehicle? The package I received came with a single bolt and I couldn't seem to get an idea of where they wanted that to go.

Thanks!
I did leave the sensor dangling. It seemed pretty sturdy once everything was connected. I had the same bolt and when I reached out to Fuel It they mentioned that was a mistake and the bolt isn't used. I'm surprised for the cost they didn't at least have a set of instructions.