CRP Manifolds with Garrett Power Max Turbos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If
I continue to hear that cylinder pressure is a huge issue with these motors and keeping it in check is key to engine longevity. Changing out the manifolds is a way to alleviate that.
If the ports / valves are the same size how is changing out manifold going to make a diff?

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If

If the ports / valves are the same size how is changing out manifold going to make a diff?
Every little bit helps.

I haven’t seen data on the 2nd Gen CRP manifolds, but CRP bench tested the 1st gen 3.5 manifolds, and showed that there was restriction in the stock manifolds, particularly for the front two cylinders. Head Games and Full Race did some testing on the stock 2nd Gen heads and a Full Race manifold design, and the aftermarket manifolds did flow better than stock heads with stock manifolds.

From a practical perspective I figure that if I am going to replace the turbos, I might as well do the manifolds as well. Probably not worth a ton of incremental power, but I bet they do make some difference from both a power and longevity perspective.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might also make "cleaner" power. All too often you see shops results under best case scenario vs. what the set up is capible of on any given day. The latter was what I always tried to steer my customers towards when I was in the business. Generally those were the happier customers.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might also make "cleaner" power. All too often you see shops results under best case scenario vs. what the set up is capible of on any given day. The latter was what I always tried to steer my customers towards when I was in the business. Generally those were the happier customers.
I’m all about trying to avoid throwing a rod through the side of the block for as long as possible.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I continue to hear that cylinder pressure is a huge issue with these motors and keeping it in check is key to engine longevity. Changing out the manifolds is a way to alleviate that.
I thought the manifolds would allow better flow to the turbos to spool up quicker and less lag. knowing this alleviates cylinder pressure is even better. It worries me sometimes the increased boost i'm running is putting more additional pressure inside the motor.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much boost are you guys running on these larger turbos? My E50 tune is running 20psi, with upgraded turbos still at same PSI theoretically will make more power as it will be more efficient than the stock ones.

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe
How much boost are you guys running on these larger turbos? My E50 tune is running 20psi, with upgraded turbos still at same PSI theoretically will make more power as it will be more efficient than the stock ones.
I think Graybeard was running 22psi on 91 octane and somewhere in the high 20's on E85