CRP Manifolds with Garrett Power Max Turbos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today on a bit of a whim I ordered the CRP manifolds knowing that at some point I want to install larger turbos. I just noticed on the CRP website that it says “Some clearance modifications are needed if used in combination with Garrett PowerMax Stage 2”. Has anyone else installed the Garretts with the CRP manifolds? How major were the modifications required?

I would certainly prefer to use these parts together. It seems like the stock manifolds are a key constraint, and I would much prefer the Garrett PowerMax set-up over the CRP stage 5 turbos.

For reference, here is that status of my build:

Truck is a 2019 802a in Tuxedo Black with 20k. I know at some point, I need to worry about suspension and brakes, but knocking the performance side out first.

Installed:
- MPT 93 PRX
- Colder plugs from 2.7
- SPD stainless downpipes

On order:
- SPD resonator delete
- Full Race FMIC
- CRP Manifolds

Planned, but not yet ordered:
- Full Race radiator and trans cooler (to be installed with intercooler)
- B&M Transmission Dipstick (to make life easier)
- Garrett PowerMax Stage 2 or CRP stage 5 turbos (subject to above)
- AMS boost tubes (90% sold on doing these barring a better option)
- Some form of cold air intake (continue to change my mind on type)

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m waiting for the credit card to roll over to order the turbos and a Dremel tool and hoping for the best. I assume it will require some grinding on the manifolds. How much, I don’t yet know. I was planning on having the paint removed and having ceramic coated after I finish the surgery.

I’ve tried calling CRP a couple of times, but have not been able to get through.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subscribed.

I'd like to see the comparison. Tuned stock 3.5 EB vs Tuned upgraded turbo 3.5 EB.

Price comparison and the power delivery and the reliability. I know a few others here have done larger turbos' and etc etc..

If it only cost like 3 or 4 thousand to get 600WHP (manifold/turbo/tune) I think its worth it. I'm just trying to destroy more tires..

OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed.

I'd like to see the comparison. Tuned stock 3.5 EB vs Tuned upgraded turbo 3.5 EB.

Price comparison and the power delivery and the reliability. I know a few others here have done larger turbos' and etc etc..

If it only cost like 3 or 4 thousand to get 600WHP (manifold/turbo/tune) I think its worth it. I'm just trying to destroy more tires..
The few before and afters I have heard of suggest the turbo upgrade is worth about 100 WHP on 93 Octane vs. a tune only. I have no idea if the manifolds will add anything, but the design of the stock manifold looks mediocre at best.

Motleygen218

Reaction score
I emailed Crp and they sent me this along with pics. He mentioned going 1/16” off the manifold and a little more off the turbo to accommodate:

Our manifolds were designed and released before the G2 Garretts existed, so we took some of the same design space with our manifolds that Garrett utilized as well with their upgrade.
We are working on a long term revision, however revising castings tooling takes considerable time and investment.
We have customers running these with a few mods as shown and the majority of the current fastest ecos in North America are running this combo or our manifolds with our Stage 5s which do not require clearancing.
It's tight but doable. (I think this example was a little more clearance than needed actually) and you can take some slight material off the manifolds as well, the walls are quite thick on them. but most is on the turbos. I would keep mods on the manifolds to ~1/16 depth removed.

Attachments

• BAA97962-C5C1-4DAD-A1CD-FFBDFA5EDB6A.jpeg
    BAA97962-C5C1-4DAD-A1CD-FFBDFA5EDB6A.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 107
  • 28347E5F-540A-45E0-8D0A-16C5B066CB5C.jpeg
    28347E5F-540A-45E0-8D0A-16C5B066CB5C.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 58730287-AE52-4900-AADC-DC6EADCED19B.png
    58730287-AE52-4900-AADC-DC6EADCED19B.png
    896.5 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
J

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed Crp and they sent me this along with pics. He mentioned going 1/16” off the manifold and a little more off the turbo to accommodate:

Our manifolds were designed and released before the G2 Garretts existed, so we took some of the same design space with our manifolds that Garrett utilized as well with their upgrade.
We are working on a long term revision, however revising castings tooling takes considerable time and investment.
We have customers running these with a few mods as shown and the majority of the current fastest ecos in North America are running this combo or our manifolds with our Stage 5s which do not require clearancing.
It's tight but doable. (I think this example was a little more clearance than needed actually) and you can take some slight material off the manifolds as well, the walls are quite thick on them. but most is on the turbos. I would keep mods on the manifolds to ~1/16 depth removed.
I’m inclined to take it all out of the manifolds rather than taking a grinder to the turbos, but maybe you have to do both to avoid going too deep into the manifolds.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of CRP stage 5 turbos 8 blade upgrade that will be posting for sale since I'm trading my truck. These were previously used ran a couple of 10 second passes on a 2018 4 door F150.

slow_raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm asking $2200 for them you can txt me to 9564108476 for more info don't want to hijack these thread..