crossovers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's basically what the factory does. I don't recommend this but you could do it. Reason being is that they aren't real crossovers. So it literally is just like a hard stop to anything below whatever size capacitor you get.

The crossovers that come with your speakers have droop built in to the circuit. Probably something along the lines of a -12 or -6db at whatever frequency that Focal has determined for your speakers.

I recommend just running a new wire for the tweeters to the focal crossover. Just go to the front kicks and splice in the front doors for the woofer amp spot on the crossover. Than splice at the tweeter connection and run a new wire down to the crossover and back up to the new tweeter in the tweeter amplifier spot. You don't need any crazy wire. Simply stuff would work just fine as the stock wiring is like 18-20ga.

Now.. if you REALLY want to use a cap... figure out what the crossover frequency is and than the speaker resistance. I'm guessing 4 ohm. Than go here http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1
So like if you have 2K Hz @ 4 ohms you would need a capacitor of about 20uf (micro farad).

On a side note... using a cap(bass blocker) isn't necessarily a bad thing if you use them as like a safety when going full active or using just the aftermarket amplifier built in crossover. Find the FS of your tweeters, double that number and use that size cap. It should be a lot lower than the frequency you plan on using as your crossover point but greater than the tweeters FS. This way you don't accidentally damage your tweeters when setting your crossovers.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry, been busy. i wouldnt use bass blockers too long, its not the ideal way to go. thats pretty much whats on the oem speakers. what speakers did you get?

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
focal I think 165fx series , woofers r 4ohms the tweeters 8 ohms ,the fs of the tweeters is 1370

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if im reading correct 5000 hz bass blockers rated at 4ohms , at 8 ohms they will be 2500hz

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech question , I do hvac and in my world a cap is used to help start a motor , fan and or compressor , like 40 uf at 370 volts ac , how does a cap work in the stereo world to block frequencies

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If not running active use what the manufacturers engineer their speakers for. The supplied crossovers will be the best solution compared to any other solution other than going fully active.