crossovers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought a set of focal component speakers for the front ,tweeters and woofers , do I need to use the included crossover ? im upgrading the whole system a little at a time .

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn't the crappy b and o already filter the sound , to the fronts ,as it has tweeters and woofers in the door stock.?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but too low of a frequency for the aftermarket tweeters. the crossovers built for the speaker will filter out the correct frequency. without it you run the risk of blowing them up. so use them unless you decide to use a sound processor and run active you can set the parameters in the processor and remove the crossovers

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock tweeters have capacitors built in to them. It's basically a cheep high pass filter. The rear doors are the same way with the coax back there for the tweets. If you hook your new tweeters straight up to the stock tweeter line you're going to kill them. So either use the cross overs you have or make your own cap filter for the tweeters so you don't kill them.

Personally I'd listen to @The Car Stereo Company and run the crossover that came with your new speakers. It does get a little tricky if you use the stock tweeter location but you could make like a break out point at the kick panels and put the cross over there. It will be even easier if the cross over is bi-amplifier capable so you wouldn't need to run any new wire.

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im def using them ,u say the kick might be the best spot to locate the crossovers as they look small , I assume I need to intercept the ,door speaker wire and the tweeter wire in the kicks ?imput ,output thing . yes the crossovers bi amplified

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question ,do the front stock door speakers have crossovers built in as well?

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about splicing the lines might be easier at the B&O amp itself. You could hide the cross overs behind the plastic trim piece as there is a ton of space back there. Just make sure that you leave enough line or use connectors where you can connect/disconnect when you or if you need to in the future. Here's the pin out for the speaker wire runs from the B&O Amp plug.

EDIT:
I just realized the tweeters are not run from the B&O amp.... Either front door drives both or they are run off the Head Unit. Either way the plug at the amps should help identify the wires for the front doors. Might be easier to just run a new wire for the tweeters. Luckily they are easy to access.

View attachment 146002

question ,do the front stock door speakers have crossovers built in as well?

No, the little add on caps are only found on the tweeters in the A-pillars and on the tweeters for the rear door coax speakers. The woofers themselves are full range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if im eventually ripping evening out , could I just use inline bass blockers for a temp quick solution for the tweets .

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea it looks like the front doors r 65-20000 hz ,the tweeter r 3000-20000 hz so maybe a 3000hz bass blocker would be an easy solution for now .