Cross shopping the Gen 3 Raptor and F-150 Tremor: would love some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, serious question? I'd rather have my Raptor and have it not running, then have a Tremor

OP
OP
B

bruin1md

Reaction score
I have yet to drive a Gen3, but I’m on my 2nd Gen2 & I was coming from mainly GM trucks & before I got my first 2018 Gen2 I went to all
The big 3 w/ an open mind & drove all kinds of trucks, did same thing before pulling trigger on my 2020- what I’ve found & others have kinda already touched on it is the following:

Ford really designed the Raptor from the ground up, they truly give an F about it & it shows- while many times you can look at a high price high option/trim truck & easily point out (warranty not withstanding) - “I could just buy an SLT truck instead of Denali & its basically same, or I could buy a Laramie Ram & mod it to be better than a Rebel, etc. well for the delta in price between a Tremor & Raptor you absolutely cannot turn the Tremor into a Raptor equal- it’d take more $$$ than that & yeah, you’d lose warranty too (not that it matters necessarily) - the bespoke transfer case & engine (that we now know makes more TQ to the wheels than its rated @ the crank lol) can’t be replaced w/o crazy cost, the hood, all 4 fenders & bumpers & lights- all unique, the shocks & how everything integrates w/ the drive modes, the reinforced frame, the ability to rock 37” tires etc etc etc all of it is Raptor specific & can’t be duplicated for the price difference.

I think the Gen3 takes this even further, why? For starters as I mentioned the engine has obviously been underrated by Ford & must’ve had the factory tune “massaged”- it shares forged crank/guts & the block architecture now w/ only ONE other Ford vehicle- their pinnacle vehicle supercar Ford GT (4-5 years ago you could option it in a platinum right?) there is only ONE truck in Ford’s lineup w/ a coil-over rear, & that combined w/ the nasty new Fox live valve suspension means NO other truck in Ford’s lineup (or anyone else’s for that matter) will produce the same kind of cushy ride on or off pavement.

You can make a standard F150 into a tremor for the price difference, but can’t justify turning any trim level F150 into a Raptor, it’s so ludicrous the only course of action would be to buy a real one lol

Or OEM hood/fender flares/tailgate/rims/tires/transfer case/crate engine/steering wheel/seats/shocks/springs/a-arms/sway bars/spindles/end links etc….and more than that lol

Hey….I guess the battery & brakes would transfer over, but the frame wouldn’t lol

If you want a Raptor get a Raptor otherwise cross shop a tremor w/ Rebel Ram or AT4 or TRDpro etc…..only “fair” competitor to a Raptor would be like a TRX or the Wrangler 392
Good stuff, and much appreciated. To be clear: I'm fully aware that the Raptor and Tremor are apples and oranges: there is no true performance oriented off road truck out there to compete with the Raptor outside of the TRX, and I have no interest in a TRX, even though I have a connection with a GM and am fairly certain I can get one at a slight discount.
The only other vehicle I've been seriously considering was the 3rd vehicle in that group you mentioned: The rubicon 392. The main reason I'm no longer considering it is because it's going to drive me nuts for the my long drives in terms of comfort and wind noise, after having driven the Rubicon diesel recently.

I definitely have my eye out for the AT4X -- but that's a few years away (more of a post Raptor truck) and will be the ultimate off road truck that also incorporates luxury/comfort. But I'm sure it won't be nearly as fun as the Raptor, and I have no desire to own one of the first models out.

I'm going to drive my buddy's Gen 2 as it's been months since i've been in a raptor, just to make sure I'm comfortable with the added width. I'm then ready to pull the trigger.........and then wait.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess the only reason to not purchase a raptor is size. I don't own one yet but its my biggest concern about the vehicle. I know I will love everything else about it for sure but the size is what worries me the most.
Mirror to mirror and bumper to bumper it's the same. Buy the Raptor. Done

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a review on YouTube. Maybe savagegeese, has it on the lift, looks like the cheap ***
Good stuff, and much appreciated. To be clear: I'm fully aware that the Raptor and Tremor are apples and oranges: there is no true performance oriented off road truck out there to compete with the Raptor outside of the TRX, and I have no interest in a TRX, even though I have a connection with a GM and am fairly certain I can get one at a slight discount.
The only other vehicle I've been seriously considering was the 3rd vehicle in that group you mentioned: The rubicon 392. The main reason I'm no longer considering it is because it's going to drive me nuts for the my long drives in terms of comfort and wind noise, after having driven the Rubicon diesel recently.

I definitely have my eye out for the AT4X -- but that's a few years away (more of a post Raptor truck) and will be the ultimate off road truck that also incorporates luxury/comfort. But I'm sure it won't be nearly as fun as the Raptor, and I have no desire to own one of the first models out.

I'm going to drive my buddy's Gen 2 as it's been months since i've been in a raptor, just to make sure I'm comfortable with the added width. I'm then ready to pull the trigger.........and then wait.
If you even thought about the width of the raptor, probably it's not your type vehicle.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
The Raptor is the best long trip cruiser I have owned. The 600 mile drive from Portland to our property in Montana can be done without a fuel stop. The Raptor negative for me is city parking. Street parking is tough and it doesn't fit in most parking garages. Other than that it's my daily. I have had a Gen-1 and currently a Gen-2. I would have done a Gen-3 but struggling to justify the price for a 1/2 ton truck. I can load a diesel F250 for the same money.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
If you want the 12" screen, leather, 360 camera etc on the Tremor you are $68k+, I went with an 800A Raptor with Torsen and 360 camera/tow and I'm at $68.5K for a Raptor with a superior suspension, cool factor and resale. If you can get a raptor it's a no brainer unless towing is a big concern. If you are looking to tow 8K lbs or more at any great frequency then a 250 Tremor might be the way to go anyway as opposed to the f150 tremor...

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want the 12" screen, leather, 360 camera etc on the Tremor you are $68k+, I went with an 800A Raptor with Torsen and 360 camera/tow and I'm at $68.5K for a Raptor with a superior suspension, cool factor and resale. If you can get a raptor it's a no brainer unless towing is a big concern. If you are looking to tow 8K lbs or more at any great frequency then a 250 Tremor might be the way to go anyway as opposed to the f150 tremor...
That’s the truth. Real reason towing is an issue w/ raptor is wear on the suspension & aesthetics - ie: if you tow any where near the limit of these trucks on even a semi-regular basis the suspension will sag/settle & ride height will drop. Is what it is. That being said, If that was an issue for me I’d also opt for f250 tremor diesel, aside from that it’s raptor all day every day

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess the only reason to not purchase a raptor is size. I don't own one yet but its my biggest concern about the vehicle. I know I will love everything else about it for sure but the size is what worries me the most.
It’s not that big….it is but it isn’t- look at one next to an F350 4x4 crew cab- while there aren’t that many Raptors running around, comparatively there’s a sh*t load of F350s & they seem to get around the size issue no problem.

deucedevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had a tremor on order but the truth is I would always want the Raptor. So I cancelled the Tremor order after I found A dealer with allocation who would order the Raptor at Msrp and the price difference is less then 10k. So Now the wait begins.,
Literally Same except didn’t cancel the Tremor order. It showed up 3 weeks ago and was really nice but very much not a Raptor.