Cross shopping the Gen 3 Raptor and F-150 Tremor: would love some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruin1md

Reaction score
Newbie to this forum --I've been cross shopping these two trucks for some time and I've briefly driven a Gen 2 raptor several months ago and recently drove a new 2021 fully loaded Tremor.

I live in AZ, where the Raptor literally was born to shine, but with the caveat that I live in the northern part of the state at about 7k feet. So we get some decent snow and occasional ice during the winters.
I currently have a 2020 4runner TRD Pro with 24k miles on it, which is a fantastic suv, albeit seriously underpowered at altitude, especially when climbing back home from Phoenix.
I want to change vehicles b/c I need something with more power, better comfort as I do the 3 hour drive to Phoenix and then back about 2x/month, along with a 9+ hour drive to southern California once a month or every other month.
I plan to do light off roading up in the mountains and then occasional desert running maybe a few times a year.

There are no Raptor allocations where I live but I have one waiting for me out of state at the dealership where I bought my previous Shelby GT350 a few years ago--> at MSRP.
I'm also considering a 2022 Tremor, which I thought drove much smaller than its size, which makes it a great DD. It will be plenty capable off road for my needs, and it has trail turn assist, which is just so much fun to use when off road. Downside: it's not worth spending $68k on this truck w/o serious discounts given the crazy depreciation it will have over the next 3-4 years. Also, I know it won't be nearly as fun to drive as the Raptor.

Raptor pros/cons: as above, super fun to drive, and since I had to sell my Shelby earlier this year, I definitely miss having a fun car, and if this can be a good DD for all seasons/purposes, then it fits that bill for me (maybe until I can get a Raptor R.....lol). It will also hold its value so much better than the Tremor. Cons: wide body can make driving it in tight spaces a little challenging, including airport parking, etc. More electronics, so maybe more that can go wrong?

I don't tow/haul much of anything, which is another reason to get the Raptor and not the Tremor. I'll put a bike or kayak in the bed on weekends-- so either truck is fine for that.

Any thoughts/advice? I feel like if the Tremor was being discounted as though this was a 'normal' car buying cycle, and could be had for $55-57k fully loaded, it would be a harder decision.
But the way my Raptor is built, it's just over $73k, while the Tremor is at around $68k.
Any other downsides/cons I need to think about before pulling the trigger on the Raptor?

Final point: I have a few concerns about ordering anything right now, with chip/parts shortages and hope that quality doesn't suffer. Maybe it's better to wait, but then my 4runner will also be worth much less when things straighten out, when I'm considering a trade.

Last edited:

Cotaco

Reaction score
I explored the Tremor vs the Raptor when it came time to put a deposit down. My Raptor build was just over 74k and the Tremor speced out the same was essentially only 2k less. I felt if I got the Tremor I wouldnt be happy with the wheels, suspension tires etc, adding to the money going into it. But with the Raptor, its 100% gtg off the lot for me. Plus the Tremor is just another F150 to everyone who isnt a truck person, but the Raptor is a RAPTOR!

Cotaco

Reaction score
I explored the Tremor vs the Raptor when it came time to put a deposit down. My Raptor build was just over 74k and the Tremor speced out the same was essentially only 2k less. I felt if I got the Tremor I wouldnt be happy with the wheels, suspension tires etc, adding to the money going into it. But with the Raptor, its 100% gtg off the lot for me. Plus the Tremor is just another F150 to everyone who isnt a truck person, but the Raptor is a RAPTOR!
And I am just flat out infatuated with the concept of an adjustable exhaust, and the absence of leaf springs on the Raptor!
f u k leaf springs

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the current environment, I think it's a no brainer to go with a raptor based on what you've laid out. As long as the tremor is within 10k of the raptor, the raptor makes more sense IMO given the difference in depreciation, fun, and capability

wc901

Reaction score
I started off in the same boat because I thought I could spec a tremor out closer to $60k, but that’s just not the case. Then after seeing one in person i didn’t like the orange color. The seats have the orange stitched in them.

The Raptor is the better truck hands down. And as someone else pointed out, the Tremor is just another F-150.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leaf springs is the biggest downside for me. I thought that Ford had gone to coils with the last version of the F 150 and was playing catch up with the Raptor. Shows how much I paid attention. Leaf springs in the back? **** that. They suck. Other than that, the tremor looks good and I can spec one out to my liking for less than $60k. Better payload for camping, too. But leaves? Like a jump back to 1985.

OP
OP
B

bruin1md

Reaction score
Leaf springs is the biggest downside for me. I thought that Ford had gone to coils with the last version of the F 150 and was playing catch up with the Raptor. Shows how much I paid attention. Leaf springs in the back? **** that. They suck. Other than that, the tremor looks good and I can spec one out to my liking for less than $60k. Better payload for camping, too. But leaves? Like a jump back to 1985.
Yeah I thought the leaf springs were a bit of a ?? for the tremor, but then when I thought about the fact that it’s meant to be able to tow and handle some serious payload, i guess it made sense. The ride quality is surprisingly good on the tremor, but the seats are just ok. At that price point on the high end package and pushing $70k, I think the tremor seats should have been nicer.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Arizonan! Up in showlow area I’m guessing? Anyways. I flirted with the tremor thing, but once I saw how much the well equipped ones are AND the fact they have dinosaur-era leaf springs, I immediately stuck with the Raptor. And I know for a fact if I went tremor, I’d see one and immediately regret ‘settling’ for the tremor.

OP
OP
B

bruin1md

Reaction score
Welcome fellow Arizonan! Up in showlow area I’m guessing? Anyways. I flirted with the tremor thing, but once I saw how much the well equipped ones are AND the fact they have dinosaur-era leaf springs, I immediately stuck with the Raptor. And I know for a fact if I went tremor, I’d see one and immediately regret ‘settling’ for the tremor.
Lol yes sir. Up in show low/pine top.
Yeah I’m thinking the same. Plus the other way to look at it: if for some crazy reason I don’t love the raptor, I can turn around and sell it in a year or two without fear of losing much on it and always go back to tremor or another truck.
The one other thing: My garage isn’t big enough for the raptor so I’m going to have to be ok with it being outside — until I can move. Lol.