Cross-country Road Trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisMcP05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So - I have a long cross country road trip coming up. I’ve booked a rental in case I decide to not put a bunch of miles on my Gen 2, but curious as to others opinions.

The trip is going from Philadelphia to Yellowstone (assuming floods don’t keep it closed) up to Glacier National Park, into Washington state / Oregon / down to Tahoe and Yosemite / redwoods. Heading then back across Nevada / Colorado and out to Philadelphia.

This is a 3 week trip. Roughly 8,000 miles. I am concerned about breaking down out west and being stuck (hence the rental back-up) but also interested in areas along the path that would make sense to have the truck for (or just pure enjoyment of the ride). I do plan on camping out a few of the days and will have my travel companions (rottie and doberman) with me.

Any good spots along the route to venture / camp out? Thoughts on rental (likely a Tahoe) over truck?

The reason not to use a rental is the absurd cost they are currently running.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is a 3 week trip. Roughly 8,000 miles. I am concerned about breaking down out west and being stuck

Why?

schedule a routine service at a stealership along the way, you will likely need at least oil over that distance.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GoDucks

Reaction score
I drove from Portland to Disneyland for spring break with the family, we also explored desert in Temecula and Redwoods in Northern CA. Not as many miles as you are planning but a good amount but my point is never once did I fear breaking down. My Raptor is reliable! But got damn the gas prices in CA is another story.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip, why would you worry about your 2 year old truck breaking down? Just check the tires, maintenance items, before you leave and enjoy! Take lots of pictures too.

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the truck and enjoy it.
I drove my Gen 1 about 80,000 miles in almost 4 years of ownership. Never once hesitated to take it out. I now have 93,000+ miles on my raptor swapped f150 (in just over 4 years of ownership) and a good 70% of those miles are trips across the US, not to mention the miles I’ve towed it behind my motorhome. I’m currently in AZ for another week, then off to Moab, then CO, WY, MT, ND, Kansas City, TN, NC, SC, GA
I plan on spending a few days to a week at each location I stop.
Take the truck, you’ll enjoy having the size and the ride on the roads.