Creaking in the steering after 80K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLeeDog

Reaction score
Greetings everyone who loves these trucks.

I have had this truck since brand new and still love it. I just clicked over 81K on an early Gen 1 6.2L supercab. It has all the factory suspension still intact.

What I have noticed recently at slow speeds (like pulling into and out of the driveway) is a very pronounced creaking & popping sound in the steering. Sounds like it is in the tie rod area. I haven't had any issues with the power steering that I can tell and the truck drives fine.

I would prefer not to get the Deliverance treatment by the dealer and thought I would reach out to anyone who might have the older first gens that may have had the same issue as their trucks aged.

Thank you in advance for any input. It is appreciated.

Lee

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a pop at low speeds like you explained, I torqued the 2 bolts holding the steering rack in place. Seemed to do the trick.

OP
OP
FLeeDog

FLeeDog

Reaction score
Sernas
Thanks for the input brother. I will get it up on a rack and check stearing rack bolts, ball joints and tie rods. Appreciate the input.