Crazy ADM with Gen 3 Raptors... any MSRP dealer in Md/Va/Dc/De?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a good point. The bottom line is that Ford's customer is the dealer, not the end user. Keeping your customers happy is fundamental to staying in business. When the customer goes so far as to do something that you think will damage your brand, you step in. Otherwise you stay out. Ford could require dealers to sell at MSRP. They don't want to. Arguably, they don't need to. Supply and demand will sort out pricing in short order. When trucks are in short supply, those who want them so badly that they'll pay extra will get them. If you fixed the price at MSRP, the friends and relatives of the dealer, the staff, or relatives of the staff will buy all of the inventory and flip it at the market price, pocketing the difference. The end user will always end up paying more for a scarce vehicle, the only difference being who makes the profit. If you somehow prevented this from happening, trucks would sell in minutes and there would be no inventory, so getting one would come down to what connections you have, Soviet-style. We all know how well that worked.

You make a good point that if Ford locked down prices at MSRP, it could create a lucrative secondary market. However, it's not as though Ford is powerless against that. If a dealer isn't selling to actual customers, then Ford can limit or eliminate their allocation. That's wouldn't eliminate other people from seeking that immediate profit, but Ford doesn't have to sell to regular offenders either.

This sort of thing does happen for retail items that are in short supply as well. Certainly happened with the new gen of gaming consoles. Retailers combat this sort of thing by limiting quantities sold to individual customers or just banning customers that are known scalpers and/or abuse the return policy. None of that translate to auto sales specifically, but the point is that there are ways of limiting a secondary scalping market that occurs when you lock in prices on products in short supply.

And that's not to say that Ford should lock prices to MSRP.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You make a good point that if Ford locked down prices at MSRP, it could create a lucrative secondary market. However, it's not as though Ford is powerless against that. If a dealer isn't selling to actual customers, then Ford can limit or eliminate their allocation. That's wouldn't eliminate other people from seeking that immediate profit, but Ford doesn't have to sell to regular offenders either.

This sort of thing does happen for retail items that are in short supply as well. Certainly happened with the new gen of gaming consoles. Retailers combat this sort of thing by limiting quantities sold to individual customers or just banning customers that are known scalpers and/or abuse the return policy. None of that translate to auto sales specifically, but the point is that there are ways of limiting a secondary scalping market that occurs when you lock in prices on products in short supply.

And that's not to say that Ford should lock prices to MSRP.
Ford sells vehicles to dealers. Those dealers borrow money to finance their inventory. They give the money to Ford. Ford likes that. If the dealer misjudges the market, they can lose money, but Ford keeps what they got. If the dealer guesses right, they make extra money. No skin off the corporate butt either way. Putting in place a bunch of complicated rules that don't benefit the end user(because any rules you come up with can be gamed) and give your customer an incentive to buy less product from you is a lose/lose strategy. Ford is doing right by their shareholders and customers, and isn't harming their end user. Expecting them to do differently is ignoring the incentives of the interested parties. Just because a car buyer wants to wander onto a car lot, find the perfect car sitting in inventory, and buy it at a good price doesn't mean that it's possible. Resources are limited at every level. How resources get allocated efficiently is what capitalism does best. I agree if you're a customer with big wants and little cash, it sucks. But that's not a problem that Ford can solve unless they can give you a good job. :)

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Most of those buyer's are from California I bet, so to them, it's still a discount.
Current residents that are selling their house are buying another one, so those next houses are being occupied by "Texans", of course they probably have some dirty California in them somewhere in the past, so, you're correct. Most new home communities are not allowing investors in. You have to look a bit harder to find the ones that allow non-owner occupied, but there are some out there. Those for sure are being snapped up by outsiders. Behind California, New York, Jersey and Illinois are also players.
And you are correct, they consider it a bargain, still. We just have to figure out a way to hitch our wallets on to this rocket.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You have to look a bit harder to find the ones that allow non-owner occupied, but there are some out there. Those for sure are being snapped up by outsiders. Behind California, New York, Jersey and Illinois are also players.
And you are correct, they consider it a bargain, still. We just have to figure out a way to hitch our wallets on to this rocket.

Honestly, I get a little tired of having to shuttle these carpetbaggers to the borders. It’s a LONG way to any border here and the closed border policy is hard work.

Texas: We’re like the opposite of Hotel California; you can move in any time you like, but you can never stay. Until we say so and if you’re from a ****** state, you can’t.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditschman/Flemington Ford, one of the top rated Ford dealer in the country. No ADM ever, speak to Kevin Crowley. tell him Nick from Enthusiasts Garage sent you.
When I bought my Gen2: MSRP, but unaccommodating and I did not get a trusting vibe. To say it nicely. But I am thankful, because then I went to Malouf and saved $1,000s with nice people.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Gen2: MSRP, but unaccommodating and I did not get a trusting vibe. To say it nicely. But I am thankful, because then I went to Malouf and saved $1,000s with nice people.
Ugh, every time I went to Malouf this is what I found on every Raptor. and when I asked why they mark up their Raptors the salesman said. "well if we can get more why wouldn't we?"Capture 4.PNG