Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Craven Stubby Install Issue....yes, believe it or not LOL

Discussion in 'Craven Speed' started by Reptar, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Humvee21

Humvee21 FRF Addict

I believe some guys have said they have found shorter alternatives from their auto parts store.

2. White608

White608 Full Access Member

I never listen to local stations .. I don't even have them programed

3. 6.2

6.2 Banned

shitty it didnt work out for ya, it sure does look good!

4. Blind1

Blind1 FRF Addict

I have been running the craven antenna for a while now, I can't tell the difference with the reception between the stock vs the Craven Stubby. I live in the outskirts as well.

5. dataustin

dataustin FRF Addict

Ditto....

6. Badrap

Badrap FRF Addict

Hate to hear about the connection prob. Mine went on smooth. Reception around the outskirts of town are not as good though.

7. Reptar

Reptar FRF Addict

Yeah I've got shorter ones on both my HD and my '85, they're 18" billet specialities ones. I just liked the look of the craven one being thicker than the billet style. Just wish it was taller. Seems 18" works just borderline, stock works great, but the craven is just too short for my area.

I just listen to one philly channel for the morning radio show. I can start podcasting it, but that's more effort lol.

Guess it depends if you live on the outskirts of a city, and an outskirts of their broadcast region. I'm far beyond the outskirts of Philly, but I am on the outskirts of their broadcasting region. And about equal distant from NYC and PHL, so we get both cities stations just barely.

I put the stock antenna back on last night, tightening it down it made one "ratchet" click and I stopped there. Definitely sounds like its spinning internally. BUT on the bright side, reception is now perfect, so no damage was done.

I'll try to search up a nice 18-20" antenna, and already got a lucky buyer for my brand spanking new Craven. :waytogo:

8. HahnSolo

HahnSolo Member

just picked up my ride today, tried pulling the antenna off as I ordered a Stubby a few weeks ago... factory attena is stuck, just twists any ideas on how to get the sob off? can you hold the housing underneath?

---------- Post added 05-02-2012 at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-01-2012 at 11:18 PM ----------

Literally after I wrote this i went out to the garage grabbed the base of the antenna and bent it back and forth "with out breaking it" grabbed the tools and it came right off. i suggest getting pissed off first, seemed to work for me!

Stubby works great for me no reception issues! looks sick too...

9. iSurvive

iSurvive FRF Addict

Here's the scoop:

I had the exact same problem as many of you. I had read this was an issue, but hoped mine was not one of those - WRONG. It turns and makes noise like everyone mentions, but does not loosen. I scratched the hell out of my antenna and some of the base. I gave up and tried later, read some forums, tried again, tried again, but no luck.

I then read a forum post where the guy got abusive with the antenna - pushing and pulling it sideways, forward, backward, etc. to break the seal. Then I grabbed it tight with my wrench and twisted counter-clockwise with an upward pulling motion. I had to keep this up for a while as it slowly started rising from the hole. About halfway up I was able to untwist the rest with my fingers.

Installing the Craven Stubby also required some stiff elbow grease. It looks good and works OK with a few FM stations. I use Sirius or an iPhone for all my music, so it's not a big deal. I wish it was taller (and cheaper). At least now my antenna doesn't hit the garage every day.

Don't give up! I was so ready to drive to my dealer and raise the roof.

10. troycrna

troycrna Full Access Member

My reception sucks with the stubby, worthless on long trips