Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

Craven Stubby Install Issue....yes, believe it or not LOL

Discussion in 'Craven Speed' started by Reptar, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Reptar

Reptar FRF Addict

So I put on my craven stubby this weekend. And yes believe it or not, I ran into a little snafu. Nothing with the craven, but removing the stocker.

Removing the stock antenna, it was making a ratcheting sound as I was loosening it. It felt like underneath was just turning, rather than unthreading. I only made a couple rotations, then rotated it back, not wanting to twist a wire off underneath. I could fit my fingers in under the fender with the hood open and rotated it again, and same noise, but the wires underneath did not feel to be rotating. As I loosened, it didn't seem to unthread, just rotate and make the mufflered ratcheting sound. Same with tightening. Tried to shock it by quick turning and same thing. Finally was about to give up in fear of twisting off a wire underneath or something, and one last shot and it unthreaded perfectly fine and smooth.

Anybody else have that same issue? Or is that a normal thing, like the last bottom few rotations are a lock type of interference that makes that noise?

I'm going to end up selling my craven stubby. It looks awesome, but I'm smack in the middle between Philly and NYC, so I'm on the outskirts of radio stations for both cities. It's even sketchy on cloudy/rainy days with a stock antenna so I knew I was pushing my luck, and unfortunately I can't run a stubby being on the outskirts.

Looks wise I really like it. I wish you guys made a 20" version.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Dane

Dane FRF Addict

If you're selling, I just decided yesterday I want to buy one. :waytogo:

3. Humvee21

Humvee21 FRF Addict

I didn't have this issue. Sorry the reception isn't good enough for you. I might pop on the big one for long road trips

4. BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN Birdministrator Staff Member Admin

First I have heard of it but it definitely sounds like your stock antenna was in too tight. The female threaded section that the antenna secures to is splined inside a plastic housing. It wouldn't take much to turn that splined threaded section inside the plastic. You were essentially stripping the plastic teeth that hold the female thread in place. Its in there tight enough that it's probably not a big deal

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

5. SaintsFan

SaintsFan Full Access Member

I didn't have this issue removing the stock antenna.

6. MagicMtnDan

MagicMtnDan FRF Addict

You could always run with a custom wire hanger antenna :D

[​IMG]

Badrap and puddle hunter like this.
  7. swoop1156

swoop1156 FRF Addict

I had this problem when my dealer torqued mine on really really tight. They wound up having to replace the entire thing from behind the fender all the way to the tip.

8. Reptar

Reptar FRF Addict

Thats exactly what it sounded like, the splined part spinning in the plastic housing. Is that just sitting against a metal base to create the conduction path, or would spinning that potentially cause the wire to twist up and break internally?

Once it finally started unthreading smoothly, it came right out. I installed the craven and snugged it up good-n-tite, and nothing moved. It must have been REALLY cranked down from the factory.

Sweet, that blows lol. I'll reinstall the stocker tonight, and if my reception comes back I'll assume everything is still okay. Otherwise looks like I need to order a new antenna pigtail. :Grenade:

9. ruffstuff

ruffstuff Full Access Member

Same problem here, can't get the antenna off. I tried applying some heat thinking loctite was used, but I can't get enough heat on it. I'm going to have to go the swoop route.

10. Reptar

Reptar FRF Addict

Try rotating it really fast, in an attempt to shock it loose.

I put my stocker back on tonight. If I have perfect reception again tomorro with that 4' tall whip I'll know I didn't do any damage. Fingers crossed lol.

Craven needs to start making 20" ones, still shorter than stock, but still decent sized antenna to grab reception for us on the outskirts with that nice clean look of the craven antenna.

White608 likes this.