Cracked or not Cracked?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Mine has 17k miles on it and cracked. took it to the dealer. they ordered the new part. called me when it was in. took the truck in the same day and in a couple of hours they called and said it was ready. they didn't only replace the button but the whole assembly.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another reason I could not only care less about, but AVOID unnecessary “technology for technology’s sake”, for me push button start is in the same box as remote bed steps. Do you still need a key to get into the truck? Yes. Do you still need to produce a “manual” action in order to start the car? Yes - push the button. In some cases I’ve seen the button on the center console, wonder how that works out when you forget to shut a sunroof in a rainstorm or spill a big ice coffee over it? Maybe accidentally smash it w/ something bulky unloading the cab? Well- here we are.

Not trying to crap on you guys who purchased one w/ the push button start, it’s just that this surprises me in the least, & what if it broke off completely (like smashed in scenario above)? How do you start the truck?

I will always prefer a traditional key over the smart keys- my wife’s MDX is a 2015 I purposely bought a leftover ‘15 over a ‘16 because they went to a new 9 speed “push button” tranny, & guess where the buttons are? Next to the cup holders of course! Lol

She has push button start & smart key & we pretty much have to replace the battery in the key every year

How about automatic windows...do you prefer a crank? Auto locking hubs...prefer to get out and engage yourself? where does it end? Not having to pull out a key is nice...at least for most people. This is a known issue on the 18s and easily fixed and covered under warranty

skerzz

Reaction score
Another reason I could not only care less about, but AVOID unnecessary “technology for technology’s sake”, for me push button start is in the same box as remote bed steps. Do you still need a key to get into the truck? Yes. Do you still need to produce a “manual” action in order to start the car? Yes - push the button. In some cases I’ve seen the button on the center console, wonder how that works out when you forget to shut a sunroof in a rainstorm or spill a big ice coffee over it? Maybe accidentally smash it w/ something bulky unloading the cab? Well- here we are.

The convenience of not having to take a key out of my pocket to unlock doors when my hands are full with kids and/or trying to shimmy it out while sitting in the cockpit is 100% worth it to me. I can leave the truck running without a key in the ignition (very nice in the AZ heat) and worrying about someone driving off with the truck. Can you do those things with an archaic manual ignition?

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can agree with some of this, at least in theory. However, push-button start is certainly a feature I enjoy and will prioritize in future purchases. I hate having things in my pockets, and will leave my key in my backpack most of the time. Push-button start coupled with keyless entry are great features in my mind, and not simply "technology for technology's sake".

The other side of that coin are vehicle functions that can only be interacted with through the touch screen display. I've lamented about this in the past, but any vehicle function that requires me to take my eyes off the road (e.g. non-tactile buttons) is a safety hazard. Fortunately, our trucks offer very few daily driving activities that require use of the touch screen while driving. In fact, the only one I can think of that isn't entertainment or navigation related is the heated steering wheel. (I *really* wish Ford would add a physical button on the wheel controls)

So credit to Ford for largely resisting the trend of shoving as much functionality into touch screens as possible. Dodge can keep their 12" "productivity" screens; That kind of silicon valley hype has no place in my truck.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the result of Ford using cheapo Plastic Crap made by the lowest bidder, just like the oil pan and trans pan.

Quality is no longer job 1, Profit and raising the Stock price are Job 1 now.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The convenience of not having to take a key out of my pocket to unlock doors when my hands are full with kids and/or trying to shimmy it out while sitting in the cockpit is 100% worth it to me. I can leave the truck running without a key in the ignition (very nice in the AZ heat) and worrying about someone driving off with the truck. Can you do those things with an archaic manual ignition?

The ability to use your keys to open the front door of your house to grab whatever was forgotten while it continues to idle with the A/C running is very nice.

Keyed ignitions also wear out and fail over time. They were easy to replace, but so are the buttons.

Never been a big fan of the old school keys anyways. My old man had a 65 Stingray vert stolen from a service place in the 80s. Pretty sure they just made a duplicate key at lunch and handed it off to someone who stole it later that night. That type of BS is a thing of the past.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can agree with some of this, at least in theory. However, push-button start is certainly a feature I enjoy and will prioritize in future purchases. I hate having things in my pockets, and will leave my key in my backpack most of the time. Push-button start coupled with keyless entry are great features in my mind, and not simply "technology for technology's sake".

The other side of that coin are vehicle functions that can only be interacted with through the touch screen display. I've lamented about this in the past, but any vehicle function that requires me to take my eyes off the road (e.g. non-tactile buttons) is a safety hazard. Fortunately, our trucks offer very few daily driving activities that require use of the touch screen while driving. In fact, the only one I can think of that isn't entertainment or navigation related is the heated steering wheel. (I *really* wish Ford would add a physical button on the wheel controls)

So credit to Ford for largely resisting the trend of shoving as much functionality into touch screens as possible. Dodge can keep their 12" "productivity" screens; That kind of silicon valley hype has no place in my truck.

Yeah I had a suburban rental during a work trip one time was great just left my key in my backpack and the doors magically open as I got close. Except when only the rear tailgate unlocked as I walked up to it & threw my backpack in went around front to open driver door and what do you know the truck locked itself back up once I shut the rear & locker my “smart” key inside. Luckily it was a rental so I could just call them for roadside assistance.

More difficult to do that w/ a regular key, of course not an issue anyhow w/ touchpad on door & Ford app, but its a true story.

As far as crank windows etc, i think that’s pushing the analogy, I’m just saying I see no real benefit and only another thing to break...and it broke on you guys, Ford’s fault but it’s added complexity.

I like to keep vehicles for a while & while I’m not against features & options I prefer the “unnecessary tech” stuff to be relegated to what I’d consider “non-essential” superficial stuff so if it does break it doesn’t necessarily effect the vehicle serving its basic duty.

Like essentially all 1/2 tons we have a dial or button to engage 4wd, so be it, but if you think there aren’t trucks getting “stuck” in 4wd on a fairly regular basis (in terms of major problems) youd be wrong.

As for the touch buttons? 100% agreed, before it got totaled I was looking for a replacement head unit for my GMC b/c the stock unit went haywire outta warranty- good thing it had steering wheel buttons for the radio.

The retractable steps- so badass, except when one or both don’t retract, especially when it’s only ONE lol- and don’t act like you haven’t seen it.....multiple times.

I guess part of the reason this stuff does nothing for me is b/c I wish Ford (and other car makes) would put more effort into quality control & all the mechanical/drivetrain instead of spending so much time coming up w/ more complicated crap to Jack the prices up.

Who here thinks those new GM tailgates are going to be working the same way outta the warranty period? Not me lol

On the other hand- wireless charging pad? Totally worthwhile tech.

Sucks the buttons snapped hopefully it’s an easy fix...I’d recommend buying 2 in case it happens again.

Last edited:

taoseno

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is cracked in the exact same place; '17 with 23K miles

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep... Mine's cracked to... so I ordered a red decal to place over it LOL

Pretty cheap plastic by the way... Wonder if the 1/10 of 1% that saved to produce was worth it to Ford...

Hey Op, thanks for making me look at my start button and having to buy something to cover it up!