Cracked Airbag Cover on Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Was wondering if anyone has experienced the infamous cheap plastic airbag cover crack on their steering wheel? This has happened to me twice now. The first time the airbag perforations ripped horizontally across the center of the wheel under the Ford emblem. Dealer replaced it at 20k miles. Now my Gen 2 has 51k miles on it and the airbag perforation ripped again only this time horizontally on the right side of the center airbag cover. Taking her in again hoping it’s covered under the safety/restraint warranty since the airbag and cover, at least according to the dealer, are considered one unit. Although I didn’t find any recalls, I did find a Manufacturer Communication from Ford to the NHTSB advising “an updated driver airbag assembly has been released with a more robust airbag cover design”. Have no clue if that’s a “Yeah we will take care of it” or “yeah we know but we are still a stealership so go pound sand”. Let me know if anyone has successfully had it replaced out of bumper to bumper. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ECD3D4D1-A7A9-4861-9222-6FF0B2EAC7F6.jpeg
    ECD3D4D1-A7A9-4861-9222-6FF0B2EAC7F6.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 25

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TSB reading "if servicing under warranty" is pretty lame. One would think Ford would cover these outside of the warranty since they have an updated part and its related to the airbag system.

fordrat

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree it should be replaced by Ford because it’s a safety issue

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine cracked a few months ago. I’ve been ignoring it, but it’s getting bigger. I’ve got an extended warranty, but … dealership service department. I was thinking that I could just replace it myself, but if it’s part of the airbag assembly, then that’s going to be expensive. Keep me posted on what you find