CR Performance Turbos & Manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrm

Reaction score
I think that the 5star tune is supposed to match what I have. I have a call into them to clarify, otherwise I may not drive the truck for a bit.

I'm trying to call 5star. There is a dyno not to far away that maybe either MPT or 5star can get results from. MPT is about 3 hours away. They charge around $100 for a few pulls.

Given the new turbos, it sure would be nice to get it dialed in ASAP

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would send a log to 5 star of their tune. Get them to verify it’s “safe” to drive and then roll down to Mike at MPT and let him properly tune it ON the dyno and set the timing and A/F ratio and all.

I think that the 5star tune is supposed to match what I have. I have a call into them to clarify, otherwise I may not drive the truck for a bit.

I'm trying to call 5star. There is a dyno not to far away that maybe either MPT or 5star can get results from. MPT is about 3 hours away. They charge around $100 for a few pulls.

Given the new turbos, it sure would be nice to get it dialed in ASAP

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is interesting but it isn’t really substantiated data. 600 horsepower is a far cry from 520 horsepower and without huge turbos or Ethanol, no one is getting there with stock cores.

It is known that the risk of catastrophic failure increases beyond 600 horsepower but a lot of that has been figured out. Early adopters were running very high torque numbers out of the bottom of the RPM range, in excess of 600 lb*ft at low RPM ranges. The other issue was not bringing the same torque curve down soon enough as the RPMs start to crest.

600/600 is about it, unless you are adventurous... but at 600/600 you need someone who knows what they’re tuning.

most 93 octane tunes are going to be in the 550 range, well under that threshold... but even so... tuners should pay attention to low RPM torque and not let it go beyond 575-600 on pump.

TYRCS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting but it isn’t really substantiated data. 600 horsepower is a far cry from 520 horsepower and without huge turbos or Ethanol, no one is getting there with stock cores.

It is known that the risk of catastrophic failure increases beyond 600 horsepower but a lot of that has been figured out. Early adopters were running very high torque numbers out of the bottom of the RPM range, in excess of 600 lb*ft at low RPM ranges. The other issue was not bringing the same torque curve down soon enough as the RPMs start to crest.

600/600 is about it, unless you are adventurous... but at 600/600 you need someone who knows what they’re tuning.

most 93 octane tunes are going to be in the 550 range, well under that threshold... but even so... tuners should pay attention to low RPM torque and not let it go beyond 575-600 on pump.

Yeah man all I said was 520whp was a safe area to be lol from what I've seen people document, probably explains why Goose has stayed at that number for over a year now. Anyone can go as high as they want, whatever they feel is safe I guess. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with any engine... the more power per cc you produce, especially beyond OEM, the greater the chances for error and expensive repairs.

Yeah man all I said was 520whp was a safe area to be lol from what I've seen people document, probably explains why Goose has stayed at that number for over a year now. Anyone can go as high as they want, whatever they feel is safe I guess. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.

jrm

Reaction score
5 star doesn't answer the phone or respond to phone calls. I've been asking them if the car is safe to drive based on the few datalogs. Very disappointing customer service. Their tunes may work, but after as much stuff as I've purchased from them and the newness of what I have, their lack of concern bothers me.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen...

here is my advice....

Arrange a proper dyno tune at MPT. They will take care of you. Don’t drive the truck down there. It isn’t worth the potential disaster. Have it towed down on a flat bed. Couple hundred bucks tops. Let him fix it. Then have someone bring you down and you can drive it home and enjoy your truck.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from CR Engineering.

“The long term dependable limit is not well known yet for the Gen2. This 3.5L seems to be no issues to the 600 RWHP range and not many are above this. Keeping torque down in the low RPM is advised.”

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from CR Engineering.

“The long term dependable limit is not well known yet for the Gen2. This 3.5L seems to be no issues to the 600 RWHP range and not many are above this. Keeping torque down in the low RPM is advised.”
For a stock 3.5 yes. Same think that Matt at Gearhead said.