Could anybody experienced with tunes help me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use 5 Star tuning, and Ive been running the 93 perf tune for like a year and a half. I had an original tune (rev1), then a year later I got an update (rev2), both tunes were aggressive, and about 23 psi peak boost. I went back to stock for a day or two for a dealer trip to get headlights repaired, a third plastic oil pan due to leaking, and a recall on insulation in the b-pillars.

I flashed back to rev 2, but it has snowed like crazy here lately so never really got on it. All the flashing of tunes made me think to ask for an update and I got rev 3. it finally stopped snowing, and I happed to pass a car and the truck was slow as shit on the top end. Do some pulls and notice its boosting like 17 psi, basically stock. go back to rev 2 and it is the same.

When I got my rev 3 tune, they asked if the dealer had flashed my ecu, I said I didn't think they did, as nothing was engine/ecu related.

Is it possible that the dealer flashed my ecu and that is causing my issues? It seems like SOME sort of tune is getting flashed because the trans is not shifting to 10th gear at 45 mph like stock, but it definitely isn't as strong as before, and the boost is clearly 5-6psi lower.

I don't believe it is a mechanical issue, as I have no CEL's, and you would hear a boost leak that big.

5 star has been little to no help, and I feel like after phone calls and emails I am still trying to convince them something is even wrong. they are now not returning my phone calls or emails.

Help is appreciated!

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5* is notoriously bad in the customer service dept.

I would download the stock tune and send it to them. If there are any updates the service dept. will download them to your truck and it does sound like what is going on in your scenario.

Sucks that you spent the money but I would ditch the 5* and get the Ngauge and MPT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5* is notoriously bad in the customer service dept.

I would download the stock tune and send it to them. If there are any updates the service dept. will download them to your truck and it does sound like what is going on in your scenario.

Sucks that you spent the money but I would ditch the 5* and get the Ngauge and MPT.

I have an NGauge currently

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Call up MPT or do the online order.

Wmraptor guessing if you have a cel it’s from exhaust? There are ways around that as well.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
does anyone know what would happen if you tried to flash a tune but the strategy changed? Would it give you an error or would it possibly give the results Im getting?

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome! Call up MPT or do the online order.

Wmraptor guessing if you have a cel it’s from exhaust? There are ways around that as well.

Yeah, unless I drop $300 on new tunes and have the same problem still....

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, unless I drop $300 on new tunes and have the same problem still....

The difference is MPT will answer the phone and get you sorted. Hard to know what changed on your stock configuration.

Call them up and see what they say...can’t hurt....

dave_g

Reaction score
I had a 5 Star tune in my F250 6.2, I was dumb and left the tune in when I went to 5 year state inspection, and failed. When I went to uninstall- the programmer went nuts- I gave miss match codes and such. Still do not know why dmv would change anything I thought they were read only. I would recommend uninstalling like you did always. My guess is something at the dealers changed when they connected, and its not loading completely.

But I had great response from 5 star on a Sat, to help with my problem. I'm really sorry to hear their support is slipping.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend you buy one 93PRX tune from MPT - and drive it. You’ll never go back to 5Star. Take it from someone who has tried them all.