GEN 2 Costco vs Synergy+ Gas Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a SHO- I'll hook up my datalogging software sometime and log some of my drives to work and back. I'll slowly up the cruise speed from say 55 to 85 to see what affect it has on the MAP reading. Nowhere near the wind drag as a Raptor or Explorer- but 85 MPH in a car should easily produce more wind load than 65 MPH in a truck would.

skerzz

Reaction score
There's no way you were in a position to notice "increased performance" when exercising the driving habits necessary to obtain 17 or 18 MPG city fuel efficiency. Something does not add up here and I'm not buying it. If you had told me "I'm a spirited driver and increased my MPG from 12.3 to 12.5MPG using "X" new fuel; and the truck had a little more pep when doing 60 to 85MPG pulls on the hwy", I'd at least pretend to be interested.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a SHO- I'll hook up my datalogging software sometime and log some of my drives to work and back. I'll slowly up the cruise speed from say 55 to 85 to see what affect it has on the MAP reading. Nowhere near the wind drag as a Raptor or Explorer- but 85 MPH in a car should easily produce more wind load than 65 MPH in a truck would.

I'm interested in your concept, but I'm not sure I concur with your estimate that 85MPH in a Taurus SHO is equivalent to 65MPH in a truck such as a Raptor. The drag coefficient of the Raptor is massive; between the blunt front end, lack of any lower air dam, and the turbulence that occurs between the cab/bed of any pickup, there is a significant difference in wind resistance. Couple that with the 35" All Terrains and 4.10 gears, and I can easily see why our trucks get into boost maintaining the upper end of highway speeds.

Having owned both versions (both Gen II 3.5) the XLT could easily sustain 75MPH without much TP input while the Raptor is more like pushing a house through the air.

Last edited:

TRUKPULR

Reaction score
Ok I have the 6.2L and when I first got it in Nov. it was getting 12.8 mpg. Then I started to put BP fuel in it and it dropped to 11.2 mpg I didn't think much of it and one night I put some Shell in it and it bounced up to 13.5 mpg. So with that increase I started to look around at the gas station I had in neighborhood. I put some Exxon in it one day and it gave me 13.6 mpg, Now Mobil and Exxon are suppose to be sister stations, Will I filled up with Mobil to other day and its dropped to 10.3. So there's few more station around too try.

John Cannon

Reaction score
I have a 122,000 Miles on my 2011. Driven daily since Day 1 at zero Miles.
I have a CardLock account with Pacific Pride. In addition to MPG, I track cost of cents per mile ( usually .15-.17 per mile ) Non Ethynol Super 91 always has better HP performance, best fuel economy is reflected with Non Ethynol on long drives 18-20.5 around 55mph whether mountainous or Easy terrain. I use Unleaded 87 for routine in-town driving as there is minimal improvement.

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting mostly about 15.8 like Pat86B states. In my area in NJ, Costco has the 93 octane fuel at about 2.70 per gallon. But I like to run Shell or BP 93 octane in my Raptor, I gladly pay the premium for Shell or BP as the truck just runs better.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the OP needs a much larger sample size to make the MPG claims, at least 5 tanks. I don’t doubt that the fuel is better, but MPG on one tank could be a fluke.

I use Fuelly for tracking my daily driver VW Passat TDI, so I can spot trends. Overall MPG since I bought the car is 40.9 mpg. Some might see this mpg as low for a TDI, but I drive mountain grades at 80 mph to and from Phoenix on I-17 weekly.

711389.png