Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Cordless charging with Apple CarPlay?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Interior Forum [GEN 2]' started by Troutrad, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Troutrad

Troutrad Full Access Member

Got a question: Have ‘19; using Apple CarPlay via a plug in cord when I drive. The cord is a bit finicky and has to be in the phone “just right” for Apple CarPlay to be engaged but not too big a deal.

Wondering if it’s possible to have a recharging mount like the Magnet King or others out there and have Apple CarPlay work simply by setting phone into the cradle of the charger?

2. alphatwox

alphatwox Full Access Member

Unfortunately the car is not equipped for wireless CarPlay...there are dongles out there that will allow for wireless CarPlay, but they can also be finicky...Currently, it’s the cord for the win in my opinion :)

Troutrad likes this.
  3. Troutrad

Troutrad Full Access Member

That’s what I was suspecting, dang it. Thanks for the prompt reply.

4. alphatwox

No problem at all! I yearn for the days of native wireless CarPlay support!

Troutrad likes this.
  5. claustin

claustin Full Access Member

I’ve got one of the wireless dongles. It does work. Sometimes I have to unplug and replug it, but it works pretty decent. Right now I’m trying to figure out some weird behavior with it and my Phoenix PX6 display. But it could be perfect with a stock system. I can’t be sure.

6. Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis Full Access Member

Before you spend the money, get a toothpick and gently clean the lint out of your phone’s lightning port. You’ll be surprised by how much gets in there. The symptoms you’re experiencing are probably from that.

7. Solidred

Solidred Member

I just got the CarPlay2air dongle and I’m surprised how well it works, I’ve only had it for a day but initial impressions are good...no delay in voice and seemed like it worked well. Takes a few seconds to connect and acts just like it’s plugged in.
    upload_2020-2-21_21-14-30.jpeg

Troutrad likes this.
  8. alphatwox

any issues with anything as far as limitations or functions not working correctly? Like hitting the Siri/voice button on the steering wheel?

9. alphatwox

Also, same goes with skipping tracks or any other functions based on the steering wheel controls. What I’m reading is that those with work with the dongle. I’m definitely interested iffffff I’m not losing the convenience factor there.

10. JohnC12

JohnC12 Full Access Member

I just read that the upcoming Sync 4 system offers wireless Car Play. I’m hoping that we’ll be able to purchase a hardware upgrade for our trucks once Ford releases the new version.