Cooler weather and Forced Induction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a better intercooler will help. The stock IC is so so.

This ^

Turboa love cold air. An upgraded IC will help a lot. Air gets very hot when you compress it. Shove that through a nice big front mount intercooler and you’ll be on easy street!

the intercooler increases the air density and cooler air is less likely to induce knock/pre-detonation so more boost and timing can be applied leaving you with more power.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, Sport mode works well with cold weather. Add in some Ethanol free Supreme and you'll really love it.
Where are you in South Texas? I myself am from McAllen and my wife is from Premont.

Southwest of Houston in the Katy area.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooler more dense air will yield massive power improvements, especially noticeable with forced induction vehicles. South Florida is always hot and sit in traffic and cars get heat soak in no time. When charged air is too warm the engine will pull timing and reduce the power.

I have Methanol injection on my M5 to combat the heat down here. I run straight M1 with 4 nozzles post IC and can see AIT drop about 40-50def in a 3-4th gear pull. **** also is adding roughly 116 octane as well which helps with running higher boost and avoid knock, or pre-detonation in the cylinders. When i finally decide on a Raptor, my first mod is going to be upgraded IC to help with AIT.

I do know some guys running a mix of Alcohol and distilled water to spray on their IC on Porsche Turbos which also helps reduce AIT on a non air to water IC, like on the Raptor. I'm sure something could be easily setup to spray on the IC to cool it down.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last night i started digging into aftermarket IC. I first looked at COBB as they are in Austin and they have a graph that shows some great numbers. Going to keep looking around but once COBB releases the trans tune i may have to jump on this.

RaptorStockIntercooler stock.jpg COBBIntercooler after.jpg

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cheap alcohol based no freeze multi season windshield wash/de icer maybe. For a cheap option. Install another reservoir/pump and plum to it. And use an upfitter aux switch.

Down here in south Fl, most anything can help. Just Hot and Humid air most months.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night i started digging into aftermarket IC. I first looked at COBB as they are in Austin and they have a graph that shows some great numbers. Going to keep looking around but once COBB releases the trans tune i may have to jump on this.

View attachment 131366 View attachment 131367
Was thinking i would do Cobb IC, Tune and intake. Heard good things, can't wait until they come out with transmission tune to hear reviews.