GEN 2 Coolant Temperature Spike at Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
These questions and concern trips to the dealer are the exact reason true-reading temp gauges are practically nonexistent in vehicles since the early 1970s.

Mainly because thermostat temps and resulting engine temps were increased to 190+ degF to help reduce exhaust emissions and old-school people just couldn’t wrap their heads around temps that high, so the temp gauges were removed completely, replaced with “idiot lights”, or the analog gauges were set to read in the “normal”range for any temp between about 150degF to 250degF.

If you had/have an overheating problem, the gauge or light would be normal/off until 250, then pop over to high or light on.

So, as long as you don’t see 250degF or the gauge turns red, the temp is within the “normal” range.

Personally, my 2018 with stock thermostat mine has never indicated above 220 degF, even at 80mph in 100+ ambient. I’ve long since swapped to a 180 t-stat, adjusted the target temp, and the cooling fan temps & duty cycles. It runs much cooler at lower speeds/loads at 190-205degF, but at 80mph/100+ ambient it still runs up around 215degF. It’s at 72k miles now, tuned since new, ALL maintenance/service/tuning performed myself….

Just setting another reference point for the discussion.

How did you adjust when the fan turns on?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
How did you adjust when the fan turns on?

You need a “tune” from a business tuner or buy the hardware/software (Cobb or HP Tuning) and do it yourself.

There are a multitude of inputs/outputs for radiator and intercooler cooling fan operation.

WireNutz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never really pain attention to this until I read the thread. After playing around on the highway today on the way home. I noticed a jump in temp of 6-9 deg. But would come back down to what it was before pretty quick.

Xristian

Reaction score
Thank you for you answer @TwizzleStix
Another question: a performance thermostat is a good idea? And if it is, which one do you recommend? Remember, I have a 2017 Raptor but they changed the engine for a 2021.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Another question: a performance thermostat is a good idea? And if it is, which one do you recommend? Remember, I have a 2017 Raptor but they changed the engine for a 2021.

There are no tangible short-term benefits from a lower temp t-stat. However, with a high performance turbocharged engine I “prefer” a lower temp than the oem for the long-term benefits of more margin/less stress for continued “safe” high performance output. There’s a chart floating around on the interwebs for regional heat density that recommends t-stat temps, but my personal limit based experience living across the US from South Dakota to Texas is 180degF. I’ve run a couple different brands that are significantly less money than those from places like SPD, so you don’t need to spend more than ~$40 for a quality oem style t-stat that comes with the o-ring. MotoRad is one that provides many aftermarket and oem brands and is what I’m running now.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From spd performance:

Thermostat Temperature Selection Guide:

Please see climate map (or otherwise specified by Tuner)

170 Degree Thermostat is recommended for Red - Orange

180 Degree Thermostat is recommended for Yellow – Blue

0F2B8557-9C1C-4D84-B066-5265FE763C2A.png