Coolant leak past Radiator Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Papa Gecko

2012 Raptor SCREW Tuxedo Black (Sold)
Reaction score
Hey everyone, running into a wall here. The other day I noticed some coolant spray in my engine bay when working on my marker lights, I pinned it down to a leaking radiator cap. I replaced the cap yesterday, but checked after getting to work today and its still leaking around the new cap. What could cause this?

Attachments

• 20210922_175111.jpg
    20210922_175111.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 30

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could try to wrap paper towel around it, just to be sure it's leaking from there, the wettest part of the paper towel will tell you where it's leaking from.. Did you get a OEM cap?

OP
OP
Big Papa Gecko

Big Papa Gecko

Reaction score
You could try to wrap paper towel around it, just to be sure it's leaking from there, the wettest part of the paper towel will tell you where it's leaking from.. Did you get a OEM cap?
Oem spec for pressure, but nearest place to get oem is about an hour away from me. I cleaned and dried thoroughly, checked it on way to parts store yesterday after stopping, fluid is definitely coming from the top of the neck. Just hoping its not cracked.

OP
OP
Big Papa Gecko

Big Papa Gecko

Reaction score
I won't be off work until later today, I will be checking the neck for any cracks or grooves and checking the overflow line to reservoir.

No smoke/steam from exhaust
No drastic coolant loss
No overheating
No coolant puddles

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
Big Papa Gecko

Big Papa Gecko

Reaction score
The oem one on mine looks identical to those, but mine is 16psi, not 20. Odd or what are your originals?View attachment 321120
16psi was mine and the oem spec, atleast on the 2012. And good news, NO MORE LEAK! Turns out the gasket on the aftermarket caps isn't wide enough, so it allows coolant to escape when the spring compresses to allow coolant to move to the reservoir, where the oem gasket is much larger and prevents it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
16psi was mine and the oem spec, atleast on the 2012. And good news, NO MORE LEAK! Turns out the gasket on the aftermarket caps isn't wide enough, so it allows coolant to escape when the spring compresses to allow coolant to move to the reservoir, where the oem gasket is much larger and prevents it.
SEE, it doesn't pay to be a cheap-O, ha ha. That's why I try to buy OEM if it makes sense. Glad it's fixed!!