Coolant leak horror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Beenjammin

Reaction score
please understand that im a a fellow raptor enthusiast and driver but not a ford tech or mechanic. I took a picture of where is spotted the dripping and where I was able to get my phone to do so. Sure it may not be the source. But as I said in the OP there was zero dripping prior to the water pump being replaced. It seemly just lost coolant. Both of the first two FORD service departments both say they pressure tested the truck before an after. I’m just relaying what I am being told in hopes others have experienced similar. The service manager told me on the phone “after we pulled the transmission we saw the source of the leak higher up and it appears to be from a cracked head gasket. We are waiting to hear back from
Ford to find out how much they will cover in this repair.” And it’s just apparently sitting in limbo. As it is an extended premium care, I doubt they will cover damage related to fluid loss but at this point I just want the thing fixed. And was wondering what head gasket replacement is gonna cost.

OP
OP
B

Beenjammin

Reaction score
Yeah we need pictures from above that point.
It’s definitely not from an easily accessible point from the front. I can’t help but to wonder if a new water pump put extra pressure to a possible previous leak that had been sealed using some liquid sealer when I bought it used in 18 with 40k on it. I appreciate the comments but again just wondering if anyone else had experience leaked from the rear of the engine

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
please understand that im a a fellow raptor enthusiast and driver but not a ford tech or mechanic. I took a picture of where is spotted the dripping and where I was able to get my phone to do so. Sure it may not be the source. But as I said in the OP there was zero dripping prior to the water pump being replaced. It seemly just lost coolant. Both of the first two FORD service departments both say they pressure tested the truck before an after. I’m just relaying what I am being told in hopes others have experienced similar. The service manager told me on the phone “after we pulled the transmission we saw the source of the leak higher up and it appears to be from a cracked head gasket. We are waiting to hear back from
Ford to find out how much they will cover in this repair.” And it’s just apparently sitting in limbo. As it is an extended premium care, I doubt they will cover damage related to fluid loss but at this point I just want the thing fixed. And was wondering what head gasket replacement is gonna cost.
If the failed part caused the fluid loss AND that part is covered they will cover the repair to a point. You can't drive 2000 miles with a nickle size hole in the radiator, even if the radiator is covered. it has to be obvious abuse.
It’s definitely not from an easily accessible point from the front. I can’t help but to wonder if a new water pump put extra pressure to a possible previous leak that had been sealed using some liquid sealer when I bought it used in 18 with 40k on it. I appreciate the comments but again just wondering if anyone else had experience leaked from the rear of the engine
water pressure in the cooling system DOES NOT come from the water pump. The pressure in a cooling system comes from heat and the subsequent expansion of the coolant. Think stove top pressure cooker.

OP
OP
B

Beenjammin

Reaction score
well the issue began right after a new water pump install. I was thinking if high temp had caused some expansion could a new working water pump now be showing where previous damage was done?

Cracked head gasket maybe not the correct term. Always appreciate the guys the chime in just to point that out. Always really helpful….

i got my answer inadvertently anyway. Appears this is a unique issue No one else is familiar with. I’m headed up there in person to get some answers. I’ll try and get much more defined answers and take better pictures. I’ll know the cost soon anyway. I was just trying to get a heads up.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well the issue began right after a new water pump install. I was thinking if high temp had caused some expansion could a new working water pump now be showing where previous damage was done?

Cracked head gasket maybe not the correct term. Always appreciate the guys the chime in just to point that out. Always really helpful….

i got my answer inadvertently anyway. Appears this is a unique issue No one else is familiar with. I’m headed up there in person to get some answers. I’ll try and get much more defined answers and take better pictures. I’ll know the cost soon anyway. I was just trying to get a heads up.
I don't think anyone here is trying to upset you. Which I feel you might be.

Mechanical things break so anything is possible. But I find that production in the last 30 years has become so refined that most problems are "common" problems.

I would make them take the intake manifold off. Willing to make a small wager that the valley of the engine has coolant in it.

If i remember correctly you can take the intake off and still pressurize the cooling system to pinpoint the leak.