Coolant leak horror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beenjammin

Reaction score
After using the DYI fix with the silocone kits on the reservoir tank faulty bottom connector it seemed to fix the first leak, but over the next few months i had a slow leak and saw no puddles but you could smell antifreeze. I decided to take it in and told them it wasnt at the reservoir. After a week, they said it was at the Y connector and replaced the entire coolant line and of course not under warranty. After a claimed pressure test they did I drove another week and its low on coolant again. This time I took to a different dealer I trusted more ( owner lives in neigbohood but it was a 3 hour drive). This ford service department said its your water pump. Fixed the pump under warranty and told me the old one was shot and seems to be all good.... for a mere two days.... This time I definitely see puddles and tracked the drip to the the rear of the motor/ bellhousing. I could not go back 3 hours like this so I took it to another dealer my father recommended about 15 mins away... Its been there since Mt Luther King day and was told when they dropped the tranny that the leak is coming from a blown head gasket and that they are in discussions with Ford Corp to see how much if any Warranty will cover.... This has been a nightmare. The question I have is has anyone else blown their head gasket and what did it end up costing. Im hesitant to bother Ford Corp about it if they will cover any of it. The truck never once overheated much less threw any maint. warning.

Sadly, I just want it fixed at this point and im sure the cost even for a complete motor replacement is still much cheaper then a new truck. Esp since I see the XLTs are priced at what I paid for this raptor in 2018... Unreal.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I call *********. Turbo fittings are super common. (If you are stupid it can look like it is coming from the bell housing) also under the intake is a plastic coolant cross over pipe that goes from cylinder head to cylinder head. I have seen a fee of those leak.

External headgasket leak is normally pretty rare.

OP
OP
B

Beenjammin

Reaction score
rear of motor where it attaches to bell housing. nice big puddles... thought it was maybe a freeze plug... we checked turbos and they were bone dry.. i have some pics ill try and post

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I call *********. Turbo fittings are super common. (If you are stupid it can look like it is coming from the bell housing) also under the intake is a plastic coolant cross over pipe that goes from cylinder head to cylinder head. I have seen a fee of those leak.

External headgasket leak is normally pretty rare.
Agree. I haven’t ever heard of an external head gasket failure on these engines, or really any engine I can think of except for Subaru. As you mentioned, valley leaks are no uncommon but commonly misdiagnosed.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Says they dropped the transmission. Did they take a picture? Usually they do for Ford claims.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No offense intended but showing me the low point at which the drips fall from does little. That is gravity in action.

I need to see the source.

While this may seem. Like a smart ass comment. But that is not my intention.

Just 3 days ago, one of my apprentice techs came to me with a bid of a leaking rear main seal on an F150 3.5 Ecoboost.

I looked him straight in the eye and said, either you just won the lottery or you missed 2nd grade science class the day they taught about Isaac Newton.

I said let's go see which it is because it isn't 1989 (he wasn't even alive then) rear main seals don't leak (actual rear main is pretty rare the last 30 years).

Walked out to the shop, truck on hoist. Look and oil drips off bottom of transmission. He says see rear main, I take my flash light look up and said "see vacuum pump" and walked off.

Vacuum pump is on the back of the right side cylinder head.

I am telling you the younger generation has 0 and I mean 0 problem solving skills

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No offense intended but showing me the low point at which the drips fall from does little. That is gravity in action.

I need to see the source.

While this may seem. Like a smart ass comment. But that is not my intention.

Just 3 days ago, one of my apprentice techs came to me with a bid of a leaking rear main seal on an F150 3.5 Ecoboost.

I looked him straight in the eye and said, either you just won the lottery or you missed 2nd grade science class the day they taught about Isaac Newton.

I said let's go see which it is because it isn't 1989 (he wasn't even alive then) rear main seals don't leak (actual rear main is pretty rare the last 30 years).

Walked out to the shop, truck on hoist. Look and oil drips off bottom of transmission. He says see rear main, I take my flash light look up and said "see vacuum pump" and walked off.

Vacuum pump is on the back of the right side cylinder head.

I am telling you the younger generation has 0 and I mean 0 problem solving skills
They just don’t want to work for it or get hurt feelings.