Coolant leak and power steering leak question............?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandfreak520

Reaction score
Hey I took my 2012 Screw in today for typical oil change etc....and the mentioned for the second time my coolant was .25 QT low as well as power steering. They could not, however ( nor could I find) any signs of leaks on the coolant system since last reported it low I have been watching and can't seem to find it from the reservoir to the hoses checked the water pump and the radiator cap also. They all seem to check out and seem dry with no signs of leaking etc......so far? Second, they pointed out the power steering seal at the passenger tie rod is "seeping". Looking for any thoughts or suggestions on possible places to also check for the coolant leaks.....and if anyone knows of fixes for the power steering leak at the seal if I need an entirely new steering rack ( ugh please no!!!!!)... or any other suggestions would be awesome thanks in advance!!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Steering rack shouldn't be too bad to do, it does come with new tie rods fyi. doubt you can just replace the seal, I wouldn't with an 8 year old truck anyway. Could wait til it leaks worse anyway. Check your rad cap, could be leaking, doesn't sound like much of a leak. You never see coolant leaking under the truck when its parked?

OP
OP
Sandfreak520

Sandfreak520

Reaction score
No leaks while parked or even after long drives that I have seen. I plan to keep an eye on it for sure. An I’m looking into the steering rack.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any scent of coolant coming through the HVAC system? Any residue on the inside of your windshield?

The rack is on its way out. Just keep it topped off with fluid, it will last a while.

OP
OP
Sandfreak520

Sandfreak520

Reaction score
No coolant thru the vent so far that was my next worry was heater core or hoses leaking by the fire wall but no sign of that so far either.......I’m gonna spend some time this weekend an get I’m flash light and see what I can find

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the other guys said, fluid leaking into the steering gear bellows indicates a worn/failed internal power steering rack seal.

As far as the coolant leak, the best way to find it is to rent a cooling system pressure tester from your local auto parts store. Many small leaks won’t occur until the system is pressurized, and then the coolant burns off by the time it cools down. Pressurize the system and check all connections and components for any signs of dampness. You can also buy cooling system dye to assist with isolating hard to find leaks.