Coolant drain procedure needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of the proper way to drain and refill the coolant? I want to move from antifreeze to distilled water + water wetter. I pulled the drain plug in the radiator but only lost about 1 gallon. Where's the rest?

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this on an F-150 forum hope it helps.

yes lower drivers side on the back side of the radiator, its a white plastic bolt looking thing. then there is also a plug in the engine block, takes a big allen wrench its on the bottom near the oil pan on the drivers side about 3/4 the way back. drain it then if you really want it cleaned out fill with water and repeat the steps after running the engine for about a minute, dont run the engine without water or with the drains open

OP
OP
gotSVT

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Will be draining it later tonight once it cools off.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
You could also just remove the lower radiator hose in addition to the radiator drain plug. But doing it the way described above would deff. empty it out pretty good too.

OP
OP
gotSVT

gotSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That engine block plug is a biotch! I finally gave up before I broke something. Just going to drain, drive, drain, drive with the radiator to lower the antifreeze concentration.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That engine block plug is a biotch! I finally gave up before I broke something. Just going to drain, drive, drain, drive with the radiator to lower the antifreeze concentration.
Can you explain where the engine block plug is located?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do not have to drain it through the block and I would recommend draining the radiator and then driving it and draining again. The process I have used many times is to drain the radiator, refill through the overflow tank with distilled water. Then run the truck at idle until it gets to normal operating temperature and the fans kick on. This opens the thermostat and transfers the water in the radiator into the engine and vise versa. Then drain and refill with distilled water again. Repeat that process 3-4 times until you are draining straight water. Use the same process to fill with coolant, etc. Works like a charm.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much coolant did you remove?

It takes just a few minutes to pull the thermostat, and it is o ringed so there shouldn't be any trouble with gasketing or leaks. Remove it, reassemble do your flush and fill then reinstall the thermostat. It will save you a bunch of time and hassle.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do mine when it warms up a touch here in CA.

I've got a new thermostat.

So I'll put in some flush chemical into the old coolant, run it a while, probably toodle around.

Then drain the radiator, remove the T stat, fill it with distilled and flush chem.

Run it/drive it..

fill it with distilled, run/drive.

Repeat until it comes out clean then put in the t-stat.

Then I'll refill with 80% water and 20% Zerex (ford HOAT coolant equivalent).

I'll roll with that mix until it gets cold. Then go to 60% water and 40% coolant..

Drain some and add straight to get up to that mix.. Next spring drain some and add distilled. After 2 years I go to a flush and refill again.

LOL... Back in MN on a different truck I ran block and tank heaters, 40% water and 60% coolant in the winter.

This tool is so handy, especially when I had the 6.7 superduty, engine coolant. air to water intercooler and EGR cooler. Three systems to burp.

I just use a plastic 55 barrel I cleaned out. Mix the distilled and coolant in the barrel and suck it in no sweat.

61R-pPWThPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFDRS0/?tag=fordraptorforum-20